Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple!Freak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 11, 2005
East Coast
Okay, so my father just purchased a 15" PB (I have the 12") and I was comparing the two together and noticed several things I had questions on. These are relativley "no-big-deal" questions, as in minor details, however, I am a details-man. :p

1) The sleep light on the 15" is much brighter than on the 12". Is this normal?

2) The screen locking hatch comes down very smoothly on the 15". On the 12", it does not. I brought my PB in to the Apple store today, and I was told this is normal. I was told the 12" model is meant to be closed harder than the 15". Is this true? When you close the screen on my 12" with some force, the latch comes down and it closes. If you go slowly, the latch does not lock down. The opposite is true with my father's 15". The latch will lock while closing the screen slowly, however will also lock when closing hard.

3) Oh, how I wish the 12" employed a self-adjusting screen & lit keyboard. (This isn't a question, just a statement :))

Thanks in advance!

StarbucksSam

macrumors 65816
Nov 21, 2004
Washington, D.C.
I have the same situation - my dad has a 15 and I have a 12.

I can only answer question number 2:

YES. I think that it's supposed to be closed harder b/c it's more dense - it is thicker than the 15" PB.

Apple!Freak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 11, 2005
East Coast
StarbucksSam said:

YES. I think that it's supposed to be closed harder b/c it's more dense - it is thicker than the 15" PB.

Glad to hear it! Thanks for letting me know.

Because you are in the same situation, do you think you could put both PB's to sleep, put them next to each other, and confirm my #1 question? It would be much appreciated.

UTB_Avid

macrumors member
May 30, 2005
Grand Rapids
StarbucksSam said:

I agree, same situation with my 15" and my sisters 12". Can't check the light right now, mine is in the shop. Hopefully I will have it back by tomorrow and then I will check.

Apple!Freak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 11, 2005
East Coast
UTB_Avid said:
I agree, same situation with my 15" and my sisters 12". Can't check the light right now, mine is in the shop. Hopefully I will have it back by tomorrow and then I will check.

Great! Let me know.

Gwendolyn

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2005
Massachusetts
I put my 12" PB alongside my husband's 15" PB (but his is a revision earlier than mine, if it matters), and yes, his sleep light is much brighter. I also have noticed the issue with the latch that you have mentioned--I have to be a bit careful and firm for it to catch, while his closes more easily. And I had really hoped for the backlight and the self-adjusting screen, too--but now that I have had the laptop in my hands for a few months, I haven't really missed the keyboard backlight, and usually leave my screen at half-brightness all the time to extend the battery life. So personally, I think I have missed it more in theory than in actual practice.

Apple!Freak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 11, 2005
East Coast
Gwendolyn said:
I put my 12" PB alongside my husband's 15" PB (but his is a revision earlier than mine, if it matters), and yes, his sleep light is much brighter. I also have noticed the issue with the latch that you have mentioned--I have to be a bit careful and firm for it to catch, while his closes more easily. And I had really hoped for the backlight and the self-adjusting screen, too--but now that I have had the laptop in my hands for a few months, I haven't really missed the keyboard backlight, and usually leave my screen at half-brightness all the time to extend the battery life. So personally, I think I have missed it more in theory than in actual practice.

Thank you!!! This really helped me get this off my mind now! Glad I wasn't the only one. :)

UTB_Avid

macrumors member
May 30, 2005
Grand Rapids
Finally got my PB back. However much to my dismay it no longer goes to sleep when I shut the lid and I have to put it to sleep manually. so I have to take it back in. Anyway, my sleep light acutally seems less bright than my sisters 12".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.