Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hylekmi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 8, 2010
Im very new at this(2nd class) and I have a slight issue. I am currently using TextWrangler and I need to find a VERY easy way to compile. I am in a class that has ALOT of windows users and they use a program where there is a button to compile. It is my understanding that, to compile in text wrangler you need to use a script. Is there any way around that? or is there another program i can use that is easier? Thanks for the Help!

-Mike

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
What program are your Windows using collegues using ? Because most likely it's either Netbeans or Eclipse, both of which are available for OS X.

wpotere

Oct 7, 2010
Yep, time to dive into an IDE that will let you compile and debug. I prefer Eclipse for Mac but Netbeans is also a great tool as well. Both are free.

Hylekmi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 8, 2010
Its like notepad or something that comes stock on a PC. I know they had to download a JDK and that I did not have to because I'm on a MAC. Ill try those suggestions too. Thanks!
-Mike

wpotere

Oct 7, 2010
Its like notepad or something that comes stock on a PC. I know they had to download a JDK and that I did not have to because I'm on a MAC. Ill try those suggestions too. Thanks!
-Mike

You can code in them, but you will find it easier in an IDE as it will help you with the coding by pointing out various errors. Another that is fairly decent is JGrasp (they have it for Mac) that is more like Notepad. JGrasp is more powerful than using notepad but less powerful than a full IDE like Eclipse. JGrasp will take a little configuring but they have good help files.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
Good to know... Still, I think that using a tool like JGrasp would be a little better as it will at least check syntax.

Agreed JGrasp is the way to go. There is a built in debugger that allows you to inspect variable contents and a built in terminal where you can type java commands and see their output, or create new objects and interact with them without compiling a test program.

wpotere

Oct 7, 2010
I tried that, but i got to the step where i had to copy and paste it into application support and text wrangler isn't in there.

I think they dropped support for it. Just use the proper tool for the job... Try JGrasp or Eclipse.

naples98

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2008
Houston
I tried that, but i got to the step where i had to copy and paste it into application support and text wrangler isn't in there.

Make sure you are going to

"Your Hard Drive/Users/Your User Name/Library/Application Support/TextWrangler"

and not

"Your Hard Drive/Library/Application Support"

jiminaus

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
Sydney
positive... maybe its changed because of lion?

On my Lion, it is there. But under Lion, ~/Library became "hidden".

To get to ~/Library in Lion from a Finder window or from a Save As sheet:
  1. Hit Shift+Command+G to bring up the Go to Folder sheet
  2. Type in ~/Library
  3. Click go

You should then be able to navigate to Application Support/TextWrangler/Scripts.

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland
I think they dropped support for it. Just use the proper tool for the job... Try JGrasp or Eclipse.

I would also suggest installing eclipse or something like that. Do it on a weekend, usually it takes a bit to get to know an IDE and to set it up.

It's so long ago that I did my Java course... I don't remember what IDE I used.

Hylekmi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 8, 2010
Alright, Im back to TextWrangler. I am going to try to run that script. But after i do how do i compile it? Will it just automatically compile it and then run the program when i go to run program?
Like i said, I'm VERY new at this. So please bear with me

Hylekmi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 8, 2010
alright, im back to textwrangler. I am going to try to run that script. But after i do how do i compile it? Will it just automatically compile it and then run the program when i go to run program?
Like i said, i'm very new at this. So please bear with me

got it!

----------

On my Lion, it is there. But under Lion, ~/Library became "hidden".

To get to ~/Library in Lion from a Finder window or from a Save As sheet:
  1. Hit Shift+Command+G to bring up the Go to Folder sheet
  2. Type in ~/Library
  3. Click go

You should then be able to navigate to Application Support/TextWrangler/Scripts.

Worked perfectly! Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.