PDA

View Full Version : Use G3 iBook as a Mac mini monitor?

Moo-Boo
Jun 5, 2005, 02:37 AM
G'day there,

A quick but perhaps intriguing question for you. Could I use my G3 700MHz iBook as a monitor for a Mac mini, if I decide to purchase one? That'd make the Mac mini portable enough to tote around in a bag with the iBook. Also make it cheaper than buying a new laptop. Can it be done?

Thanks for your input and advice, as always,

Matt

Pistol Pete
Jun 5, 2005, 02:41 AM
im pretty sure your ibook can onlt mirror out and not in...but im not a know it all when it comes to ibooks...

After G
Jun 5, 2005, 03:03 AM
There might be a possibility. You might be able to use VNC to make the iBook display what is running on the Mac Mini.

That being said, I don't know how feasible it would be to have a VNC server run on the Mac Mini at startup and then connecting to it with the iBook. And I don't know if it would run well enough to suit your needs. I would recommend a fast network connection between the iBook and the Mac Mini, at the very least, which isn't too hard if you connect the two directly.

UTB_Avid
Jun 5, 2005, 05:02 PM
I always wondered if there were some way to take a screen from an outdated/broken laptop and turn it into a monitor. Maybe this would be a slightly over the top project, but... maybe worth asking.

Cybernanga
Jun 5, 2005, 05:31 PM
I always wondered if there were some way to take a screen from an outdated/broken laptop and turn it into a monitor. Maybe this would be a slightly over the top project, but... maybe worth asking.

I was looking in to the same thing about 6 months ago, as I wanted to build a Mac into my car.

It turns out that it's far cheaper and easier to buy an in-car LCD screen (with TouchScreen) than it it to get an old laptop screen to accept input from a desktop machine.

UTB_Avid
Jun 5, 2005, 07:24 PM
That sucks. Oh well.