Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

darbsrewop

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 29, 2006
Thinking about the mac mini to replace my iMac, but have a dilemma. I have one monitor that I use with my work laptop docked. I extend from my laptop screen to the additional monitor. I'd like to use this same monitor for my mac mini. The monitor has a DVI and VGA connection, so I was thinking I could plug my laptop into VGA and then the mac mini through DVI. I can push a button on my monitor to go between the inputs. I was thinking of getting the apple wireless bluetooth keyboard and mouse, but how would I use that with my work laptop and the mac mini? I think I need a KVM solution, but not sure of the best one that supports my situation. Thanks for your help!

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

If u want to use a KVM then you'll need to get the wired kb and mouse

jimboutilier

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2008
Denver
Thinking about the mac mini to replace my iMac, but have a dilemma. I have one monitor that I use with my work laptop docked. I extend from my laptop screen to the additional monitor. I'd like to use this same monitor for my mac mini. The monitor has a DVI and VGA connection, so I was thinking I could plug my laptop into VGA and then the mac mini through DVI. I can push a button on my monitor to go between the inputs. I was thinking of getting the apple wireless bluetooth keyboard and mouse, but how would I use that with my work laptop and the mac mini? I think I need a KVM solution, but not sure of the best one that supports my situation. Thanks for your help!

You can use your monitor for both your laptop and mini as you stated.

The apple bluetooth keyboard and mouse will only pair with a single device at a time and must be unpaired from one device before they will pair with another so no practical way to use them for both mini and laptop. You could use apples USB keyboard and mouse (or any USB keyboard and mouse) and a USB switch or full KVM.

You could also just VNC into your mini from your laptop for brief or occasional access.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.