Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wayne091189

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2002
This is my first post so hello all.

I went over to techTV.com today and found a realy good video clip showing you the future of PC in five years time, and thay had some great hardware on show too.

But the best thing in the video was this great looking OS that was runing on there computers. Man I thought OSX was a good looking OS, but this look's so good. This is a must see.

http://www.techtv.com/news/news/story/0,24195,3403038,00.html

And if I ever become a rich man I would love to have one of these monitors to work on PLEASE PLEASE.

:cool:

Attachments

• pc-5-years-in-the-future.jpg
    pc-5-years-in-the-future.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 743

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
The pictures are murky, but...

... I have always thought that today's GUIs are much too busy with all the widgets: menu bars, scroll bars, buttons, icons, etc. I've sketched out a GUI with no widgets whatsoever. Maybe I'll program it someday.

Microsoft's operating systems are going in the opposite direction, however: in XP all the windows are cluttered, the menus are cluttered, the whole thing is a graphical mess.

The site has some interesting hardware ideas, but note also: Microsoft's vision of the future has no room for any vendor other than Microsoft. They will define what information you have at your fingertips and how you will be allowed to use it. They are the Soviet Union of the computer industry, and they will join it on the ash-heap of history.

etoiles

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2002
Where the air is crisp
I am not too impressed by their UI, put anything on that XL panorama screen and it will look good. The GUI still looks a lot like windows (xp, whatever). Watch the movie 'minority report' for some cool UI, much more organic, liberating itself from the 'old' desktop metaphor.

The main problem with new 'unconventional' UIs is:will people get it ?

Microsoft controlling the heat, light etc. in my office ? No thanks, this could get pretty uncomfortable.... :D

uhlawboi80

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2002
houston
loved the hardware, but the OS...it didnt seem to radical. Looked just like current micro$oft. besides, their "office of tommorow" still had PDAs and stuff...im not sure that i think people will have a desktop, tablet pc, PDA, cell phone. You would have to take a pack mule with you to the board meeting. I am fine like i am. cell phone and TiBook, portable, compact, does everything i need.

though that huge 40" screen was cool...except why make it that shape? just make it so that in 5 years when we all start getting plasma TV's we can just plug our computer into them and use them as screens.

Biggles

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2002
Ohio
Re: The pictures are murky, but...

Originally posted by cubist
... I have always thought that today's GUIs are much too busy with all the widgets: menu bars, scroll bars, buttons, icons, etc. I've sketched out a GUI with no widgets whatsoever. Maybe I'll program it someday.

I'd really like to see or hear those ideas. its hard to imagine a gui without widgets

springscansing

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2002
New York
It just looks like windows on a big monitor.. what the hell is the big deal (no offense to the poster).

Microsoft will have to do much more than that to keep consumers interested in their products if they keep headed in the XP direction of things.

ShaolinMiddleFinger

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2001
Just picture two guys talking:

first guy: "Hey, how come you're not in your office today?"

second guy: "Eh, the system crashed, again...."

first guy: "Yeah, that happened to me couple days ago....it felt like I was swimming in all that blue"

Both guys: "LOUSY WINDOWS!"

:p :) :p :)

j763

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2001
Champaign, IL, USA
from those pics, it could just be xp on a huge monitor with a skin on it...

really........ that's not exciting........ and, it's ugly

I much prefer my 23" running OS X.

Fukui

macrumors 68000
Jul 19, 2002
I'm not worried...

Broadbench is not at all how they described it, it seems to me.

Anyone thats been to say, gameworks has seen that one racing game with the wide-curved screen...its really nothing special.

Motion sensing cameras...what was that movie that had it? Demolition man or something? Just cause MS has one doesn't mean there's gonna be only one maker of these things, apple could easily make themselves compatible.
Same with the wide-screen broadbench.

Controlling the Office Via a PC... Big deal, as long as the interface is standard, anybody can make software to control it as well.

Basically from MS, we still are using a keyboard, a mouse and a 2-D screen. Big deal.
If this is how thier spending thier 5-billion-a-year R&D budget, I'm not worried..

boom-boom

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2002
I don't understand the time frames they were talking about! My computer turns on 10 mins before I arrive. When I get there and walk into my office the lights turn on and when I leave they turn off!

iSync will sync up all your devices, but it won't do it behind your back!

When we have a video conference the camera moves to the person who is talking but does not take over. It has the inititial person on the main screen and when someone else starts to speak it becomes picture in picture!

What the F are they talking about 3-5 years - IT IS ALREADY HERE AND IT IS ON THE MAC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. The screen is only about 15K!

kaneda

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2001
Minority Reports

naw, in 5 years...we will use computer like in the movie Minority Report...using hand motion...to navigate...

jbouklas

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2002
NY
Unrealistic, etc.

Please. This is crazy. Looks at Apple's next generation everything. It's white, clean, with a clean aqua interface. Now, M$'s ideal desktop is black with sharp edges etc. Not realistic. We are not moving in that direction. Ever. When people here the word futuristic, they think sharp edges, black and steel everything, voice commands, video conferencing. It's a load of crap. Not in 5 years. Maybe 9 or 10 years to saturate the market with these gadgets and other crap to make it all work. In reality, 5 years from now computing won't have changed too much. The computers will become much more powerful, as they always do (now 64-bit computing is the next big thing). There will be more wireless products, but nothing will change that dramatically. It's a slow evolution, especially in a saturated market. Everybody owns a computer. They only buy a new one when the old one breaks. Very few of us buy a computer just to have the fastest one (I'd like to, but money plays a factor). Once these computers all die out, then I can see something new coming in. But M$ is proposing it all to be proprietary, built by them. Apple released Rendevous as open source, so all companies can feel free to use it to it's fullest extent. M$ wants to use .NET. It's crap.

Plus, M$ has lied on MANY occasions. They doctored a video for evidence during their hearings, they publish false testimonials, they send internal e-mails talking about how to illegally crush their competition, etc. I refuse to buy into their propriety world.

-Jim

Fukui

macrumors 68000
Jul 19, 2002
Dead People

Plus, M$ has lied on MANY occasions. They doctored a video for evidence during their hearings, they publish false testimonials, they send internal e-mails talking about how to illegally crush their competition, etc. I refuse to buy into their propriety world.

Don't forget using the names of DEAD PEOPLE on letters to legislators/congressmen to get them to drop the DOJ case against them!

Rags

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2002
Re: Dead People

Originally posted by Fukui

Don't forget using the names of DEAD PEOPLE on letters to legislators/congressmen to get them to drop the DOJ case against them!

What?! Give us a link or two, I have never heard anything like this. I don't doubt it but damn.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.