Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bp1000

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2011
My latest discs have resulted in an automatic cropping of 2 pixels on the left.

I don't know why this is, but it practically doubles the encoding time.

At what point (pixels) does is make sense to leave auto cropping on, i'm assuming 2 pixels is not worth it?

d.steve

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2012
My latest discs have resulted in an automatic cropping of 2 pixels on the left.

I don't know why this is, but it practically doubles the encoding time.

At what point (pixels) does is make sense to leave auto cropping on, i'm assuming 2 pixels is not worth it?

Two pixels at 1080p is 2/1080 = 0.0018 = 0.18% difference in width.
Two pixels at 720p is 2/720 = 0.0027 = 0.27% difference in width.

I don't think it really matters unless you're one of those who really wants to eke out the ultimate you can. In which case, I don't think you'd be asking...or even reencoding! :)

Steve

roidy

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2008
Nottingham, UK

It depends whats in those 2 pixels, alot of video sources especially older DVD's contain fuzzy noise around the frame that you didn't use to see on your TV because of overscan. In this case then you'd want to crop that useless noise away.

But there's no reason that cropping 2 pixels would double your encode time, are you sure you didn't change any other settings?

bp1000

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2011
I think i know what it is - on some of my tv series DVDs there is this weird thin black at the top or bottom of the picture.

It's happened on 2 different tv series, the black line only stretches about half way across the screen. I first noticed it on my new LED monitor and then confirmed it was there on the TV screen too.

I don't know why its there but its not noticeable unless you are looking for it. Only noticeable in bright scenes where the right half of the very top of the picture is blacked out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.