Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 16, 2011
inb4 "It's just an iMac ripoff whine whine whine"

----------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/06/vizio-desktop-laptop-pc/

Just when it seems like everyone is running away from the PC business, well known HDTV company Vizio has apparently decided that after dabbling in lightbulbs, it's a great time to get in. Chief Technology Officer Matt McRae revealed in an interview with Bloomberg that it will introduce two desktop all-in-ones and three notebooks at CES next week, the former which probably explain that sleek display it flashed during its 2012 Rose Bowl advertisement. As usual, the focus is on value pricing, as he promised they would arrive by June (we're still waiting on the phone from last year, we'll chalk up the missing high end TVs to Google TV delays for now) at prices that "don't seem possible". The desktops are expected to be 24- and 27-inch models, while the laptops are a standard 15-incher, along with 14- and 15-inch ultralight models. We'll get our hands on the new PCs as quickly as possible to see if they match up to the ultrabook competition, and if Vizio can finally provide a PC AIO we're truly interested in.

Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
01img0190.jpg

14inchlaptopimg0145.jpg

27inchdesktopimg0230-aio-with-accy.jpg

Vizio has always made stellar products, but this...this is more beautiful than anything Apple or ANY other company has ever produced. I'm for sure going to attempt to get that beautiful All-In-One.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
inb4 "It's just an iMac ripoff whine whine whine"

http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/06/vizio-desktop-laptop-pc/

Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
01img0190.jpg

14inchlaptopimg0145.jpg

27inchdesktopimg0230-aio-with-accy.jpg

Vizio has always made stellar products, but this...this is more beautiful than anything Apple or ANY other company has ever produced.

Until you turn it on.

Then it all comes down to software.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
As MacDawg said, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Just as there is no "best" anything, because it's always subjective to the one judging it (whatever "it" is).

This is a nice looking product, and if you like it, go ahead and get it. I always say that the best thing for someone is what they like and works best for them.

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
I agree these are certainly a cut above average PC designs.

However as the article points out their ability to deliver concept designs as viable products (phone and TV as example) leaves something to be desired.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Then there is Vizio's brand power and cachet, both of which are next to nothing. It's positioned as a budget brand, and it shows.

It'll need more than looks to convince consumers.

AQUADock

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2011
We might finally have a proper iMac contender, and those designs look stellar.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Then there is Vizio's brand power and cachet, both of which are next to nothing. It's positioned as a budget brand.

It'll need more than looks to convince consumers.

There are many people who call any tablet an iPad or any music player an iPod
Some folks will see this design as a way to have a "Mac" without the price point
When all they do is use Facebook and email, they don't see much difference in Windows and OS X

wrinkster22

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2011
Toronto
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

The mouse looks a lot like the magic trackpad...
It looks good As pc"s go.
Windows though....
So I will stay with my Mac
Thank you very much

AQUADock

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2011
What, do tell, is wrong with a budget brand?
And with these designs, how does it show?

Or are you at end of the day just another Apple snob?
Style above substance?
Only expensive hardware can look good?

I think *LTD* is just getting a bit worried.

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 16, 2011
What, do tell, is wrong with a budget brand?
And with these designs, how does it show?

Or are you at end of the day just another Apple snob?
Style above substance?
Only expensive hardware can look good?

Exactly. Because it doesn't have an Apple logo on it, it's not good?

LTD, is this was Apple's next iMac we all know you would go gaga for it.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada

No. It's just that I know we've been here before. Countless times.

Rule of thumb: unless a manufacturer completely redefines the particular segment (that happens to be led by Apple), we can dispense with all the other questions and deal strictly with what challenges the manufacturer faces in terms of brand power, mindshare, value, software, etc., in comparison to Apple. Because for consumers, that's all it'll come down to: "Why should I get this instead of an iMac?"

Unless a competitor offers something that will completely blow consumers away in this segment, it'll be an uphill climb. THe AIO segment is saturated already, and Apple happens to own the lion's share of it.

Just being a realist.

Last edited:

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 16, 2011
No. It's just that I know we've been her before. Countless times.

Rule of thumb: unless a manufacturer completely redefines the particular segment (that happens to be led by Apple), we can dispense with all the other questions and deal strictly with what challenges the manufacturer faces in terms of brand power, mindshare, value, software, etc., in comparison to Apple. Because for consumers, that's all it'll come down to: "Why should I get this instead of an iMac?"

Unless a competitor offers something that will completely blow consumers away in this segment, it'll be an uphill climb. THe AIO segment is saturated already, and Apple happens to own the lion's share of it.

Just being biased.

I fixed a grammatical error in your post.

Also, The segment isn't led by Apple. Apple is under HP and Dell.

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
Because for consumers, that's all it'll come down to: "Why should I get this instead of an iMac?"
For some consumers.
If this was how most buyers think Apple would own the majority of the laptop/desktop market.

Don't let the success of the iOS toys befuddle and confuse your thinking.

For most consumers around the world price is a massive consideration when they look to buy a computer.

Here is a PC firm that might just offer a decent looking computer at a reasonable price to the PC market and all you can do is sneer.

Just being a realist.
Hardly.
Just you being predictable.

juliusaugustus

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2011
No. It's just that I know we've been her before. Countless times.

Just being a realist.
Vizio is a well known and very reliable brand, me and most people who have owned their TVs would agree that statement. What most people are going to think are what features does this have, how much does it cost, and do I like the design. Vizio pretty much nails all three points when it comes to tvs (hence the reason for their success) and wouldn't be too hard to nail those points when it comes to PC. A product doesn't have to be revolutionary or game changing sometimes it just has to be good. As for Windows most people use Windows and you could always install Linux on it or Hackintosh it.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA

I don't believe LTD is worried for a moment, because he knows the TRUTH.

When you know the TRUTH, you never worry.:rolleyes:

TRUTH - Everything Apple produces is the best in every way. Any action in which Apple engages is always morally, legally, and ethically correct.:rolleyes: :p

When you know the TRUTH, you never worry.:rolleyes::D

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Until you turn it on.

Then it all comes down to software.

Why? It will be running Windows just like 1 billion+ other computers in the world. That's a staggering number, isn't it? No wonder it bothers you so.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Why? It will be running Windows just like 1 billion+ other computers in the world. That's a staggering number, isn't it? No wonder it bothers you so.

Yet another OEM Windows box. OMG WOW.

Horizontal business models never bother me vis-à-vis my choice of platform. Because I know exactly what licensing your OS to box-makers means. It's the same every time. It's still the same when you make the enclosure thin and wrap it in aluminum over four years after Apple already chewed up and spat out that idea.

Wait until the actual release to be impressed. Still waiting on that legendary Vizio phone . . .

Up next: Dynex, Hannspree, and Westinghouse enter the AIO PC biz. Limited 15-day warranty included.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
We might finally have a proper iMac contender, and those designs look stellar.

We still need the specs, though. iMac is the most powerful AIO I've seen and most of its competitors are usually fairly poorly specced and hence cheaper. It can look good but if it has crippled hardware, then people will rather go with a tower.

Overall, I think AIO market is fairly small anyway. The only reason iMac is so successful is because it's the best value desktop from Apple. Mini is small and expensive (you can get a lot more powerful tower for the same money). Mac Pro is overpriced and out of consumers' range. iMac is the best choice for a consumer and it even offers options for consumers who need more power, e.g. photo editors and casual gamers. If you want a desktop that runs OS X, then iMac is most likely your choice.

PC users who want a desktop will most likely go with a tower. Why? Because it provides the best value. If you don't need power, you might as well buy a laptop and an external monitor.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Yet another OEM Windows box. OMG WOW.

Horizontal business models never bother me vis-à-vis my choice of platform. Because I know exactly what licensing your OS to box-makers means. It's the same every time.

It means you rule the market as Windows does.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.