PDA

View Full Version : February 2008 Macbook - longevity/performance expectations

imahawki
Jan 7, 2012, 11:03 AM
How much use can I expect to get out of a refurbed off-lease (probably school) Feb 2008 white Macbook? I've been mulling picking a couple up for my two daughters who are familiar with Macbooks from school, but they're still about $500 as refurbs on eBay. Considering I could get them a BRAND NEW low-end Windows laptop, I'd expect at least 3 good years of trouble free use out of them. Is that realistic?

I'm all Mac except for the 2 retired laptops they're currently using. One is REALLY old to the point its frustrating my daughter out of using it. It is a Celeron M 380 which I can't find much info on. I found an M 410 on Passmark and the score for that is like 365 vs. a 1362 for the 2008 Macbook.

The other is newer... its some kind of AMD Turion x2 64 processor. Its useable and the problems are more typical old windows laptop stuff, though I restored the OS recently. Would a 2008 Macbook even be an "upgrade".

SandboxGeneral
Jan 7, 2012, 11:18 AM
How much use can I expect to get out of a refurbed off-lease (probably school) Feb 2008 white Macbook? I've been mulling picking a couple up for my two daughters who are familiar with Macbooks from school, but they're still about $500 as refurbs on eBay. Considering I could get them a BRAND NEW low-end Windows laptop, I'd expect at least 3 good years of trouble free use out of them. Is that realistic?

I'm all Mac except for the 2 retired laptops they're currently using. One is REALLY old to the point its frustrating my daughter out of using it. It is a Celeron M 380 which I can't find much info on. I found an M 410 on Passmark and the score for that is like 365 vs. a 1362 for the 2008 Macbook.

The other is newer... its some kind of AMD Turion x2 64 processor. Its useable and the problems are more typical old windows laptop stuff, though I restored the OS recently. Would a 2008 Macbook even be an "upgrade".

So long as they're properly taken care of, they should last you a long time.

I bought a new MBP in early 2006 and used it nearly everyday until last summer. Then I formatted it (for the first time) and gave it to some friends in need and now they use it everyday as their main computer. It still runs just as good as the day I bought it 6 years ago.

imahawki
Jan 7, 2012, 12:18 PM
Will there be any problems I should look out for? I'm not finding any refurb places locally but there are several big ones on eBay that have like lots of 50 (again, I'm assuming they're buying off lease school units).

SandboxGeneral
Jan 7, 2012, 12:22 PM
Will there be any problems I should look out for? I'm not finding any refurb places locally but there are several big ones on eBay that have like lots of 50 (again, I'm assuming they're buying off lease school units).

Have you looked at the Apple Refurb (http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac) store? Buying from eBay and other online sites carry with them certain risks. You don't know who you're buying from and if they're running a game on you or not. Plus it's hard to tell if there is anything wrong it them or not, expect what the seller tells you. Then you should consider the ability to return the product if it isn't what you expect.

But, if you have one to look at in person, turn it on and see if it works, listen for any bad hard drive noise and inspect it for physical damage.

imahawki
Jan 7, 2012, 12:25 PM
Have you looked at the Apple Refurb (http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac) store? Buying from eBay and other online sites carry with them certain risks. You don't know who you're buying from and if they're running a game on you or not. Plus it's hard to tell if there is anything wrong it them or not, expect what the seller tells you. Then you should consider the ability to return the product if it isn't what you expect.

But, if you have one to look at in person, turn it on and see if it works, listen for any bad hard drive noise and inspect it for physical damage.

Let me clarify, I'm not in the market for a "new" refurb based on the prices. I'm looking for a used "reconditioned" laptop that's like $450 - $500. Mac store refurbs are still $1000 for a laptop. The seller I found has good feedback and a return policy, guarantee against DOA, etc.

SandboxGeneral
Jan 7, 2012, 12:26 PM
Let me clarify, I'm not in the market for a "new" refurb based on the prices. I'm looking for a used "reconditioned" laptop that's like $450 - $500. Mac store refurbs are still $1000 for a laptop. The seller I found has good feedback and a return policy, guarantee against DOA, etc.

Alright, but still if you can look at one in person, turn it on and see if it works, listen for any bad hard drive noise and inspect it for physical damage. If you can't do that before ordering, you have your own risks to evaluate.

imahawki
Jan 7, 2012, 12:27 PM
Understood. Thanks for the replies. So I have to evaluate some "individual unit" risks but the age itself shouldn't be a huge concern.

SandboxGeneral
Jan 7, 2012, 12:28 PM
Understood. Thanks for the replies. So I have to evaluate some "individual unit" risks but the age itself shouldn't be a huge concern.

Correct. Happy shopping. :)