Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

csubear

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 22, 2003
My hard drive died. The powerbook was hanging so I restarted, when I restarted (while holding down apple-v) i got this: IOATA controller device blocking bus. I go o crap. run the apple hardware thingy, it says everything is okay. Then I boot up my tiger cd, run disk uttitly, and it get.....

Smart STATUS: Failing

Nice and red. There is not option to do any kind of repair. Now when i start up it just complaines about not being able to mount the startup disk, and shuts down. Target disk mode is not working either.

Luckly for me i was using .Mac's Backup program, and it just did a sync last night with my ipod. So i have most of my data (expect what i was working on today, that 8 hours flushed)

Any one else have this happen? Any tips? Any guides on how to open my power boook and replace the drive? Its a 12" so i know it isn't going to be hard. It will make taking apart my imac look easy.

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Duff-Man says...there have been several threads about replacing Powerbook hard drives...search them out...it is *not* a cakewalk and if you have Applecare for yours you'd be best to use it...oh yeah!

csubear

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 22, 2003
Thanks for the advice duff-man.

Does any one else have any advice. I more looking for some one with first hand experince. Any one out there?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.