Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nxfxcom

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
Hello,

whenever i start my computer, a process called imagent starts and fills up all the ram, then it fills up the Disk and forces computer to quit.

Any ideas?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Hello,

whenever i start my computer, a process called imagent starts and fills up all the ram, then it fills up the Disk and forces computer to quit.

Any ideas?
imagent is related to the FaceTime app. Make sure FaceTime isn't set to launch on startup. See tips #1 and #2 from here: Performance Tips For Mac OS X

Also, if you're running Lion, uncheck this box when shutting down/restarting:

Resume.jpg

nxfxcom

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
Hello,

it was no in there, i followed all the tips, but still even win i force quit image it keeps coming back, filling up my ran and then creating massive swap files till my HD is full!

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Hello,

it was no in there, i followed all the tips, but still even win i force quit image it keeps coming back, filling up my ran and then creating massive swap files till my HD is full!
Are you saying FaceTime keeps launching, or just the imagent process? When you force quit it, it re-launches immediately, or only upon restarting?

nxfxcom

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
Are you saying FaceTime keeps launching, or just the imagent process? When you force quit it, it re-launches immediately, or only upon restarting?

Hello,

only the process launches on startup, and i keep free quitting it and it keeps starting, i have to be really quick since it writes about 1 gb a min....

After 5-6 force quits it seems to stop writing and just runs normal..

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
only the process launches on startup,
Are you certain you checked all 3 locations to make sure it or FaceTime is not included in startup items? Have you made sure the process is not running at the time you shut down?

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
imagent is launched via /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.imagent.plist. I wouldn't recommend messing with that, however, because it's in the System folder. Instead, maybe try reinstalling Facetime (not sure if there's an easy way to do that in Lion, though Pacifist might work). Also, you can delete the cache and preferences, located in ~/Library/Caches and ~/Library/Preferences. Both are named com.apple.imagent (the preference file includes .plist as well, of course).

jW

aymank1985

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2012
have same issue here , late 2011 mb pro 15" i7 8gbs ram 1600, was running amazing on lion , the system was using 4gbs and 4gbs free . Now after installing mountain lion , i am using 7gbs of ram and 1-1.5gb free ram . If i run parallel desktop , Its supper slow . its same case when i had lion with 4gbs of ram.
Thinking now to upgrade to 16gb or clean install .

Riadh Chouaieb

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2020
/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/IMCore.framework/imagent

Delete the 'imagent' application

It worked for me!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.