PDA

View Full Version : Siri performance getting worse?

jollyreaper
Jan 9, 2012, 08:30 AM
I find Siri a bit frustrating. When it works well, it's wonderful and you begin to rely on it, expecting it to work. And that's when it works poorly or not at all and you begin to think it rubbish.

Siri seems to be screwing up transcriptions more and more and either giving the "I'm sorry I can't work right" message or just failing silently. I speak something into it, I get the little dots moving side to side and then it just fails. Not even a mistranscription, just disappears like I never said anything.

Occasional failures are understandable. But there comes a certain point where if you can't reliably expect it to work, why bother? If cell phone coverage were as spotty as Siri's performance, few people would justify the cost.

I'd like to see them hammer out the bugs here since the idea is fairly brilliant. Any idea of why things are getting worse instead of better?

mms13
Jan 9, 2012, 08:33 AM
That's been happening to me too - the little dots like its about to spit out a transcription, and then they just go away with no text. Pretty annoying, considering after a failure it would have been faster to just type it out.

Yzord
Jan 9, 2012, 08:35 AM
So the dream feature for the 4S is a complete #failure?

vitzr
Jan 9, 2012, 08:37 AM
Siri is bound to get better as Apple has made a big deal of it. History shows that while it may take a long time, Apple will sort it out. In the mean time it serves it's purpose as a way to lure more people into Apple stores.

MacDawg
Jan 9, 2012, 08:39 AM

Hardly

Dwalls90
Jan 9, 2012, 08:40 AM
First, it's in beta. I'm somewhat surprised Apple would have released a feature somewhat prematurely.

But I think the main issue is that the iPhone 4S is still being released in new countries and thus everyone is trying Siri like nuts and slamming their servers.

E

Neverbepeace
Jan 9, 2012, 09:17 AM
I find Siri a bit frustrating. When it works well, it's wonderful and you begin to rely on it, expecting it to work. And that's when it works poorly or not at all and you begin to think it rubbish.

Siri seems to be screwing up transcriptions more and more and either giving the "I'm sorry I can't work right" message or just failing silently. I speak something into it, I get the little dots moving side to side and then it just fails. Not even a mistranscription, just disappears like I never said anything.

Occasional failures are understandable. But there comes a certain point where if you can't reliably expect it to work, why bother? If cell phone coverage were as spotty as Siri's performance, few people would justify the cost.

I'd like to see them hammer out the bugs here since the idea is fairly brilliant. Any idea of why things are getting worse instead of better?

This........

First, it's in beta. I'm somewhat surprised Apple would have released a feature somewhat prematurely.

But I think the main issue is that the iPhone 4S is still being released in new countries and thus everyone is trying Siri like nuts and slamming their servers.

E

Might have a point there.....Siri has been acting funky lately:(

benhollberg
Jan 9, 2012, 09:20 AM
I've noticed that Siri has been cleaned up, sexual questions won't receive answers anymore.

Shrink
Jan 9, 2012, 09:37 AM
I've noticed that Siri has been cleaned up, sexual questions won't receive answers anymore.

So let me get this straight, ben. You feel the need to ask sexual questions of a mechanical voice on your phone??!!:rolleyes:

Maybe you should talk to a more authoritative source about sexual matters than your phone. Perhaps some animate entity, or even a human. Maybe PM verwon;) :D

HeyGreggie
Jan 9, 2012, 09:54 AM

E

Because without Siri, releasing the 4s would be like when Danger would release a Limited Edition Sidekick in a different color. Only issue is, iphone didn't release in a different color, but, a different capacity size.

Dwalls90
Jan 9, 2012, 10:04 AM
Because without Siri, releasing the 4s would be like when Danger would release a Limited Edition Sidekick in a different color. Only issue is, iphone didn't release in a different color, but, a different capacity size.

Look. Much like most other folks, I was disappointed when we had a 4S instead of a 5.

However, the truth is that the 4S is internally nothing like the iPhone 4. Given how great the 4 is, the 4S does't warrant a purchase in itself.

I really don't think most but a 4S just for Siri

jollyreaper
Jan 9, 2012, 11:37 AM

I can accept the company saying it's beta and not really advertising it, just having it as another feature that's there on the phone. But that's not what they're doing. They're selling the feature like it's fully-functional. It's not like they put it on the phone, left it off by default and only the online geeks know to enable it and try it out.

E

I don't think anyone really cares what the situation is when something they're paying for isn't working properly. Either get it right or keep it in development until it's working.

george-brooks
Jan 9, 2012, 11:38 AM
This happens to me too occasionally. But hey, the first iPhones didn't even have an app store. It'll get there eventually.

benhollberg
Jan 9, 2012, 07:44 PM
So let me get this straight, ben. You feel the need to ask sexual questions of a mechanical voice on your phone??!!

No it was funny to ask Siri sexual things and it responded with answers. I just noticed over the weekend that it didn't work anymore.

Stealthipad
Jan 10, 2012, 04:25 AM
Look. Much like most other folks, I was disappointed when we had a 4S instead of a 5.

However, the truth is that the 4S is internally nothing like the iPhone 4. Given how great the 4 is, the 4S does't warrant a purchase in itself.

I really don't think most but a 4S just for Siri

What do you figure makes the 4S "nothing like the 4"?:p

Sorry but they were close enough for Apple to name their new device The 4S!!!

If you take away Siri the 4 is nearly an equal. I do not know about the rest of you but I am not getting blinded by the extra speed of the new (now old) processor.

Apple better be stepping up on the 5!

Dwalls90
Jan 10, 2012, 08:12 AM
What do you figure makes the 4S "nothing like the 4"?:p

Sorry but they were close enough for Apple to name their new device The 4S!!!

If you take away Siri the 4 is nearly an equal. I do not know about the rest of you but I am not getting blinded by the extra speed of the new (now old) processor.

Apple better be stepping up on the 5!

That's because the iPhone 4 is still a great device. Come iOS 6, you'll begin to feel the age of the iPhone 4. The iPhone 4S hardware really has had no chance to shine because iOS 5 puts it under no real pressure.

bicker
May 29, 2012, 09:50 PM
Siris performance is getting worse because the demand for iPhone 4s is very high so the Siri server is to full and because the every one wants an iPhone 4s the Apple California company doesn't have time to update siri because their trying to get out all of the iPhone 4s

----------

Its just the server needs updated and if you update Tue iPhone 4 it comes with siri.

gregrose
May 29, 2012, 09:51 PM
Don't put out Siri then if your company can't handle the load.

Rennir
May 29, 2012, 09:56 PM
Yeah, I've been noticing that Siri has gotten much slower recently that I don't use it anymore. Apple will fix this in the next few months most likely otherwise, there'll probably be a lot of complaints considering the next iPhone will include Siri too.

jollyreaper
May 29, 2012, 10:17 PM
Siris performance is getting worse because the demand for iPhone 4s is very high so the Siri server is to full and because the every one wants an iPhone 4s the Apple California company doesn't have time to update siri because their trying to get out all of the iPhone 4s

----------

Its just the server needs updated and if you update Tue iPhone 4 it comes with siri.

So all these months later demand remains impossibly high?

Haven't seen any Siri improvements but the last firmware update made battery life worse. Change I can't believe in! :eek:

aluren
May 29, 2012, 10:35 PM
Siri is slow and can't recognize a lot of what I say. It performs nothing like the commercials.

Mliii
May 29, 2012, 11:01 PM
Siri is slow and can't recognize a lot of what I say. It performs nothing like the commercials.

Maybe I'm just fortunate, but Siri has really worked surprisingly well for me... Maybe she just understands my accent! :D

nooaah
May 29, 2012, 11:02 PM

People who hashtag outside of Twitter really irk me.

Siri is a work in process. As a minor investor in AAPL (couple hundred shares), I'm pretty excited by its potential as a very attractive feature across multiple platforms.

jollyreaper
May 29, 2012, 11:11 PM
Potential is fine. But there's a difference between ambition and overreach.

I think public betas are fine for geeks who opt in but absolutely nothing that's featured in product commercials should still be in beta.

It'd be like a movie, fans might want to see work prints of scenes released by the crew during production which is fine. The same goes for test audiences, they know it's not finished and ate providing feedback. But on opening night the film needs to be polished, no glitches, no rough edges, it's done.

roboknight
Feb 7, 2013, 10:11 PM
I think public betas are fine for geeks who opt in but absolutely nothing that's featured in product commercials should still be in beta.

There really wasn't a way for this feature *NOT* to be in Beta. People have different voices/languages. Without being able to collect a massive amount of data as a test set, they wouldn't be able to improve it. That said, I use Siri all the time, but find it feature poor. You can play a song, if you know the name, but there isn't a way to list the songs in your library. For podcasts its atrocious because there isn't any standard convention for naming podcasts, so you pretty much can't know what the title of any podcast is if you want to request it.

Now, of course, you might say it would be faster to just open up the iPod app and access your stuff that way. But that doesn't work in my primary Siri scenario: a car. Basically, I've found Siri to be an excellent idea in a car. I have even been able to dictate e-mails, although it takes a knack for dictation. SMS messages are pretty good, but if you hesitate too long, you get cut off.

At any rate, I don't agree an advertise feature can never be in Beta, but I will agree that they had some pretty short sited uses for Siri. It doesn't do me any good to ask for a definition of something, only to be displayed information on the screen without a way to HEAR said information. It seems that most of the uses they had for Siri were things like locating restaurants. Also, while the commercials had some "uses" for Siri, there wasn't anywhere I could go that had any kind of exhaustive list. I pretty much just had to try it and wait for it to fail: "Siri, list the albums in my collection." "I'm sorry, I can't access that information."

Note: I've also found Siri works very well with the supplied headphones, but very poorly without any kind of external mic.

ValerieDurden
Feb 7, 2013, 10:18 PM
Never use it.

bushman4
Feb 7, 2013, 11:32 PM
Actually I've seen Siri answer questions and do things that only a month ago it couldn't do. While its not perfect, its getting better.
Sometimes we tend to forget it not a real person and ask too much.

jollyreaper
Feb 8, 2013, 06:10 AM
The commercials also show Siri responding instantly, they don't show the roundtrip delays!

MyNameIsDave
Feb 8, 2013, 06:14 AM
I never thought I would use Siri before I got an iP5, but now I use it all the time, especially for sending Texts/iMessage.

I don't really notice the wait from me speaking to Siri working out what I want, but I do have to speak slowly otherwise it doesn't recognize my accent !

Does Siri use different servers depending on where you are geographically located? That may account for some people seeing a lag, but others not ?

jollyreaper
Feb 8, 2013, 06:22 AM
South Florida. I've seen maybe 5 or 6 other Siri-capable phones. All suffer from lag of death at times. Other times it can work fast. Inconsistent and maddening.

Siri works just well enough to depend on and just poor enough to make you want to throw the phone across the room.

MyNameIsDave
Feb 8, 2013, 06:25 AM
South Florida. I've seen maybe 5 or 6 other Siri-capable phones. All suffer from lag of death at times. Other times it can work fast. Inconsistent and maddening.

Siri works just well enough to depend on and just poor enough to make you want to throw the phone across the room.

It certainly sounds like Siri is very dependant upon network. Do you generally have a good 3G signal when it works?

jollyreaper
Feb 8, 2013, 08:02 AM
Siri can call on her face even when I'm on break Wi-Fi. That's all on her face and rate Wi-Fi. Fall on her face great Wi-Fi. Dictated by Siri.

MyNameIsDave
Feb 8, 2013, 08:09 AM
Siri can call on her face even when I'm on break Wi-Fi. That's all on her face and rate Wi-Fi. Fall on her face great Wi-Fi. Dictated by Siri.

There's nothing like consistency :p

Leftus
Feb 8, 2013, 10:31 PM
Hi All,

Since you're all discussing Siri.

I can't say I'm a Siri "pro" but I use it occasionally and most of that is in my car for finding and dialling numbers, via BT. After updating my IP5 the other day, with 6.1, Siri just seems to hang and be non-repsonsive in my car - but works OK outside the car.

Also, I'm not even sure that Siri was updated this time - but it has definitely changed.
Perhaps the BT was upgraded/changed? Can anyone confirm?

Is it just me or are there some others that are also having trouble since the update?

bb25
Feb 8, 2013, 11:04 PM
I don't even use Siri anymore tbh

hovscorpion12
Feb 8, 2013, 11:37 PM
Siri was introduced with the iPhone 4S last year as was dubbed as a beta. It is IOS 6.1 and Siri is still in a beta. With beta's come imperfections, issues, bugs......etc. I understand the frustration, but Siri is not complete.

jollyreaper
Feb 11, 2013, 07:44 PM
Siri was introduced with the iPhone 4S last year as was dubbed as a beta. It is IOS 6.1 and Siri is still in a beta. With beta's come imperfections, issues, bugs......etc. I understand the frustration, but Siri is not complete.

And never will be.

hovscorpion12
Feb 11, 2013, 10:37 PM
And never will be.

It will trust me on this. IOS 6.1 has brought more to Siri then IOS 5 did. IOS 7 will bring Siri to a whole new level. Possible offline mode. Siri is going to keep getting better and better by the updates. Nothing is perfect, even Androids, "siri", but they improve.

jollyreaper
Feb 11, 2013, 10:57 PM
Why should I believe that with so much evidence to the contrary?

This past week Siri's gone stupid and auto-failing every dictated SMS. Only commonality is people without imessage enabled auto-fail, but it fails silently so I don't know a message hasn't delivered until I go into the app and see the fail symbol on a given name. This is new behavior it didn't used to do.

Hyzoot
Apr 27, 2013, 01:33 PM
I found this blog looking for an answer.... So since there is not one I will toss my 2 cents in. iPhone 5 w/6.1.3 and I am having the same issues. When I first got the phone it was snappy and it figured my voice and had 95% correct. Now it's delayed in response...and misses 50% of the words... I guess I am still looking for an answer. Da Zoot

Italianblend
Apr 27, 2013, 04:40 PM
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=kuYY19A4ISc

Real time siri conversation!

Skip to the end with the music if you get bored.

Luis Ortega
Apr 27, 2013, 04:55 PM
Siri is bound to get better as Apple has made a big deal of it. History shows that while it may take a long time, Apple will sort it out. In the mean time it serves it's purpose as a way to lure more people into Apple stores.

Lol...How long has this crap feature been in beta now?

jollyreaper
Apr 27, 2013, 05:35 PM
I found this blog looking for an answer.... So since there is not one I will toss my 2 cents in. iPhone 5 w/6.1.3 and I am having the same issues. When I first got the phone it was snappy and it figured my voice and had 95% correct. Now it's delayed in response...and misses 50% of the words... I guess I am still looking for an answer. Da Zoot

If you found this due to my problem, the answer ended up being resetting network settings. Evidently things got a bit mucked up and no typical reboot would set things right.

This will fix Siri failing when dictating to SMS. Siri tripping over itself in general, no solution.

The only other thing you can do is airplane mode, set it on and off and you'll reset your tower connection. I've found this can improve voice and data performance. There are also certain deadspots around town, places where the coverage always fails. I'm guessing it's maybe a radio shadow, bad tower. That's squarely on the carrier, naturally, not Apple's fault. But when I'm at home on wifi and Siri fails, that's all Apple.

bozzykid
Apr 27, 2013, 10:49 PM
It will trust me on this. IOS 6.1 has brought more to Siri then IOS 5 did. IOS 7 will bring Siri to a whole new level. Possible offline mode. Siri is going to keep getting better and better by the updates. Nothing is perfect, even Androids, "siri", but they improve.

As long as Siri is just a voice activated personal assistant, it will still be far behind Google Now. I really hope Apple incorporates it into more than just a service for voice commands in iOS7.

sneaky butcher
Apr 28, 2013, 09:13 AM
Potential is fine. But there's a difference between ambition and overreach.

It'd be like a movie, fans might want to see work prints of scenes released by the crew during production which is fine. The same goes for test audiences, they know it's not finished and ate providing feedback. But on opening night the film needs to be polished, no glitches, no rough edges, it's done.

dude we're talking about voice recognition you will be waiting about 100 years before its reliable.

I think the failure in siri service is down to apple not having the server power like google has to deliver a reliable service.

dont want to start a flame war but google has moved on. You now have an open mic to the server and it transcribes each word as you say it instead of recording the whole phrase and sending it to the server like apple does.

they need to invest some of that mountain of cash they're sitting on.

Parasprite
Apr 28, 2013, 10:28 AM
I find it just as reliable as before.

Granted, I only use it at home but it never seemed particularly slow.