PDA

View Full Version : Lightweight, Light Duty Tripod

Dornblaser
Jan 9, 2012, 08:38 AM
Hi Folks,

I am looking for a recommendation for a lightweight, light duty tripod just to have with when we are traveling with the car. Compact size is important as I would like to be able to carry it in a day pack. The cameras that we take when fly fishing, hiking, etc., are Oly Pens so the tripod needs only to be light duty. We have a more substantial tripod that can hold DSLR's with a long lens. It's been a very long time since I purchased a tripod and when I looked at all of the options B&H's site I thought it was time to ask for a recommendation. FYI - we already have a GorillaPod.

Thanks,
-D

wpotere
Jan 9, 2012, 08:57 AM
I like Bogen - Manfrotto myself. The best thing that you can do is head to a mall and look at a few just to get an idea.

Dornblaser
Jan 9, 2012, 09:57 AM
Our suburban malls have lost the serious photo shops for the most part. Good point though, I will visit a shop the next time I am in Chicago. FYI - I have been thinking about tripods like the Manfrotto 732CY M-Y Carbon Fiber Tripod. I like the weight and closed length.

El Cabong
Jan 9, 2012, 12:13 PM
I use a Gitzo GT1541T (http://www.gitzo.com/product/7269.72041.71837.0.0/GT1541T/_/Series_1_6X_4-section_Traveler_Tripod_with_G-Lock), which has roughly the same portability/weight/height specs as the Manfrotto, along with an Arca Swiss p0 head. The additional load capacity works for my DSLRs, and is more than adequate (overkill really) for my Micro Four Thirds gear. The Manfrotto looks like a good candidate, especially for the price.

Dornblaser
Jan 9, 2012, 01:15 PM
The Gitzo looks great but I want to keep the price in line with our "casual, but we want something better than a P&S when we are enjoying nature camera".

rayjay86
Jan 11, 2012, 06:41 PM
So OP and I talked a bit in a PM about the gorillapod. Wanted other thoughts/opinions on it.

I currently have a Sunpak tripod, purchased from B&H last year. I find it sturdy enough for my needs, I have a Nikon remote so I don't touch the thing when shooting on it and it's fairly lightweight. However it's quite bulky and because there's no ball head, I have to dismantle the handles for panning (otherwise it's even bulkier). It came with a nice small sling bag but my camera gear (3 lenses and a D5000) fit in a Swiss gear sling bag quite well.

I wanted to know if the Gorillapod SLR Zoom, rated at 6kg would be good for it.
Would anyone recommend it? My Sunpak is great but it's so bulky I find I don't take it with me half the time. Gorillapod (in some youtube vids) can be hung on about anything (including my bag) or rolled up and stuffed in a [large] pocket.

Thoughts? Opinions? Appreciated.

jabbott
Jan 11, 2012, 08:43 PM
I would say check out Induro... they have some highly-rated tripods for a lot cheaper than Gitzo. I ended up getting a Gitzo GT-2531 for DSLR use but if I were to get a tripod for lighter-duty use I'd probably get an Induro AT114 or similar. It seems like it would work well for point-n-shoot or light DSLR purposes.

Dornblaser
Jan 12, 2012, 11:17 AM
I did look at that model, thanks.