Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrVegas

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 4, 2005
Columbia, Md.
I just bought the dual 2.0 G5 with 512 Mb of RAM. I would like to increase it to 1.5 gig I think, depending on the price, etc.

Where is a good place to buy RAM chips, etc?

The main reason I want more RAM is because I will be managing a large library of music files and multitasking in Safari, Office, etc.

p.s.
no photoshop or other grapics intensive stuff going on really, not yet anyway

invaLPsion

macrumors 65816
Jan 2, 2004
The Northlands
I'd recommend buying from Other World Computing. Their prices aren't the lowest. But I've used them for all of my ram purchases and I've never had a problem. In addition, my ram scores on xBench are top notch. OWC is fast and reliable. They currently have a special on a 1Gig upgrade kit for Powermac G5s as well.

Check them out. And Good Luck! :)

FireArse

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2004
I have your system....

I ended up going with Crucial. I bought 2GB of RAM from them.

No issues - the PM hasnt had a glitch with 10.4.1 since the day it was released.

Rock Solid and great customer satisfaction from Crucial. The way things should be sold online.

FireArse

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Hi MrV
You already know the G5 towers take RAM in matched pairs. The main thing is to choose a vendor who tests and guarantees compatibility with your model Mac. There is no performance difference between different brands of compatible RAM - every Mac runs all RAM at a fixed speed.

Trying PC Generic RAM involves the risk that the SPD settings are not correct, and you could lose your savings in shipping and restocking charges to return.

MR readers have stated preferences from OWC, RAMJet, Crucial, I recommend Data Memory Systems in the USA: http://www.datamem.com/viewcat.asp_Q_C_E_1125

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

desenso

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2005
Thank you for your continuing advice on these boards, Trevor (CanadaRAM). Today I had to order some aftermarket ram for my first Mac (which I also ordered today) and used the site you recommend.

Your input is much appreciated!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.