Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ecoh

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 30, 2009
USA
How do you turn off the closed captions ? I went to the ATV menu and made sure captions were turned off there, but captions are still appearing on Netflix.

Never mind, found answer : center button on remote

Last edited:

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
How do you turn off the closed captions ? I went to the ATV menu and made sure captions were turned off there, but captions are still appearing on Netflix.

Never mind, found answer : center button on remote
I have noticed that Netflix is rapidly adding subtitles to many of their streaming movies and tv shows (even old ones like Hawaii Five-O). They looked burned-in to me, I didn't know you could turn them off. Thanks for the tip.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
To be specific; HOLD the center button, and a subtitles selection screen will appear. Just choose 'Off" and off you go.

Though I'm not sure why they would be on by default - they're off by default for me.

Ecoh

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 30, 2009
USA
To be specific; HOLD the center button, and a subtitles selection screen will appear. Just choose 'Off" and off you go.

Though I'm not sure why they would be on by default - they're off by default for me.

They are on by default for me. Every time I start a new movie, I need to turn them off again.

My deaf father lives with me and captions are always left turned on for local and cable TV programs, maybe this has something to do with the default setting for Netflix. He never uses ATV or Netflix, maybe he will now that caption are available.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
They are always on for me too, which is fine as my wife is Korean and always needs the subtitles if available, and I can simply turn them off if I need to do so. Turning them off for one movie does not seem to affect the default, which is nice for her. I wonder why some have it defaulted to ON and others have it defaulted to OFF? I don't know if the default is related to the :apple:TV setting for CC or not (it doesn't seem to be for me).

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
I'd love to have Netflix instead of paying $25 a month to Verizon for the movie package, but without captions it's a waste. I try browsing the selection on the netflix page, and see details of the movie, but I have yet to see one that says "CC".. sigh

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
I'd love to have Netflix instead of paying $25 a month to Verizon for the movie package, but without captions it's a waste. I try browsing the selection on the netflix page, and see details of the movie, but I have yet to see one that says "CC".. sigh
Netflix started adding captioning to their titles almost a year ago and now most of what I watch has subtitles, even if they are not listed. Try it, you get a free trial and can see for yourself. I have my :apple:TV set for captioning on by default so the captions always show up if the title has them (press and hold the large center button to get the caption menu).

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
Last year I had to ask for help in turning subtitles on. I always have to turn them on everytime. I wish mine would be on by default. I will have to check the settings again.

I hate when I miss words sometimes. If I didn't hear something I just glance down at the subtitles.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.