PDA

View Full Version : Which model had the lowest temperatures?

poobear
Jan 9, 2012, 03:22 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm in a position where I lust for the old white color in the MacBook. I'm also in a position where I've used Airs since the first model, so I've got a little tired of all the fan noise (especially on the 2011 model since it doesn't support CoolBook).

All the models the last ~5 years seems similar in performance on a first sight, all around 2 GHz and 2 GB ram. Please correct me if I'm wrong (eg. CD vs C2D). Older hardware becomes cheaper for me, so I don't only look at the 2010 model.

However, as I said, I've got tired of the fan noise. So does anyone know the temperatures on all these models? Anyone much colder than the others, or much hotter than the others? I think CoolBook supports all models, so that will help all models get a little cooler. Even the 2007 model seems ok enough in performance, but I won't buy it if the 2008 model is cooler.

Thanks!

GGJstudios
Jan 9, 2012, 03:26 PM
So does anyone know the temperatures on all these models?
Temps are not affected by the model as much as what you have running at any point in time. If you run CPU/GPU intensive apps, you're going to have higher temps, regardless of what model you choose.

poobear
Jan 9, 2012, 03:53 PM
Not have a bunch of flash videos open I know. But now I'm talking hardware.

Using Airs the last years, I know for example that the 11" is usually cooler than the 13", that the 2010 model is cooler than the 2011 model, and that models with upgraded cpu is usually hotter than the default cpu. I'm sure that small modifications were made for the MB models as well to remove the heat. I can also guess that there is a difference in CD and C2D in the heat they generate.

GGJstudios
Jan 9, 2012, 03:57 PM
I seriously doubt you would see any meaningful difference between models given the same workload. Possibly a few degrees, but not much more than that.

hexonxonx
Jan 9, 2012, 09:55 PM
I have a black MB that has a fan that runs at maximum speed which is 6200 or so when watching videos in iTunes or visiting a flash site. This thing will get so hot that I can't place it anywhere near me while laying down.

I have a 2010 MB where I barely hear the fans at all doing the same things. I can watch the same videos or go to a flash site and the fans only kick up to about 3,000 or so. I can lay on the couch with this thing on my belly and not get burns.

I would look for a 2010 MB. You will love it because of how cool it stays.

poobear
Jan 10, 2012, 01:21 AM
Thanks for the information! I will avoid the 2008 (and earlier) models. I wonder if the 2009 model is also as cool as the 2010 model? At least the 2009 model also has the same unibody enclosure as the 2010 model, if that is what makes it so cool.