Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DrDoug

macrumors member
Original poster
May 15, 2010
Am going to get a 13" new Macbook Air.

I have a 27" iMac i5 from late 2009 at home.

Will I be able to connect the MBA to the iMac with a MDP or Thunderbolt cable, and use the iMac in Target Display Mode?

If so, has anyone had real life experience with this?
I thought that I could do this, but the woman at the end of Apple support thought not, but she didn't really sound like she knew her stuff..

cheers

DrDoug

macrumors member
Original poster
May 15, 2010
Thanks, but I had already read them.

I wanted to hear from someone who had actually tried it and got it to work.

Am looking for real-world experience, not generic Apple solutions (not infallible).

best

G-Money

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2011
Thanks, but I had already read them.

I wanted to hear from someone who had actually tried it and got it to work.

Am looking for real-world experience, not generic Apple solutions (not infallible).

best

I got it to work from my 2011 11" MBA to my 2011 27" iMac - so yes, it does work.

That being said, I feel I may have missed something, because it felt like a very convoluted process, and I needed to have two wireless keyboards to get it to work.

But, yes, it does work.

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
What he was concerned about was connecting the 2011 Air to the 2009 iMac. TB to MDP. I'm told that works even though the reverse does not (2010 Air to 2011 iMac).

Cheers,

DrDoug

macrumors member
Original poster
May 15, 2010
Since posting this on the forum, I have asked 5 different people in apple stores/ apple retailers and on the phone. Have had total disagreement from all 5 people. Only 1 guy said it would definitely work. I'm with him (and with you guys). Will buy the cable and let you know how I got on.

D

DrDoug

macrumors member
Original poster
May 15, 2010
Am going to get a 13" new Macbook Air.

Will I be able to connect the MBA to the iMac with a MDP or Thunderbolt cable, and use the iMac in Target Display Mode?

cheers

OK.. I got the kit. Tried it.

and low and behold.....

it works like a dream.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
OK.. I got the kit. Tried it.
and low and behold.....
it works like a dream.
Of course it works! It just goes to show that you're better off believing what Apple states on their website than you are believing what some individuals may tell you. Apple isn't infallible, but their posted information is far more likely to be accurate than some individual at an Apple store. Remember, "Genius" is only their job title, and not an indication of their knowledge, experience or expertise.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.