Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ghett0tech

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 13, 2011
Houston
so i have been pondering the thought of using a g4 iMac as a media server for my apple tv. my question is would a 1GHz 1GB RAM running 10.5 be sufficient enough to use? this would not by any means be for main use, as i have my high end 11" Air for that.

opinions/suggestions are welcome

B-G

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2011
When I use my eMac to throw videos at my ATV, I notice CPU usage stays very low. Your system is not very different than mine, so I think all should work fine. After all video decoding is handled by Apple TV. In effect I tend to use my ATV mainly as a sort of hardware extension for my computers, using ClickToPlugin and Airflick to stream HD videos from the net to the tv. That little black box can be a really good companion to a ppc mac.

PS: Maybe you already know that, but if you plan to use ClickToPlugin with Airplay do not upgrade ATV software above 4.3
See http://hoyois.github.com/safariextensions/clicktoplugin/support.xhtml

alexreich

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2011
1GHz G4 processor and 1GB RAM is plenty for a file server. Should do nicely. My server is a 400MHz G4 with an amount of RAM I cannot recall. I used to have 1.5GB RAM in the server, but took out the the higher MB RAM sticks for use in another machine. I think I have 768MB now.

ghett0tech

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 13, 2011
Houston
i actually just picked up a g4 quicksilver and 17" Cinema Display tonight. 180 for both, its an insanely great deal i am most pleased.

i just need to upgrade to 10.5 and i'm set..

specs are
Dual 1.25 GHz
1GB RAM
250GB HDD

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.