Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ELtoro2010

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2012
Hello everyone

I`am New to mac
so i bought a 27 Imac and its came out with 4 gig of ram.
yesterday i purchase an 8 gig ram from macsale.com my question is it o.k to keep the stock ram installed with the new ram or may it cause some problems?

ELtoro2010

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2012
It is okay to use the stock 4 GB RAM and have 12 GB RAM.

Maybe have a look at Advanced Search to find similar threads:

But the New one is (owc) and the Stock is (Samsung)

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Hello everyone

I`am New to mac
so i bought a 27 Imac and its came out with 4 gig of ram.
yesterday i purchase an 8 gig ram from macsale.com my question is it o.k to keep the stock ram installed with the new ram or may it cause some problems?

Yes, it may cause some problems. You'll just have to try it out. It is very likely to work well, but it may also lead to crashes. For example: I had a problem with Corsair RAM - when paired with original Apple Samsung RAM, my iMac was randomly crashing. I have removed the Samsung RAM and its stable even now. Other people reported stable machines with exactly the same Corsair RAM mix. So its a hit and miss case :)

ELtoro2010

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2012
o.k thank you all for you`r advice i try to mix the stock ram with the owc ram. hope its works :D:D:D:D wish me luck

DavoteK

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2012
As long as they are both the correct clock speeds and type of ram, you'll be fine. I've done the exact same thing with mine (upgraded from 4Gb to 12GB) and it runs like a dream.

GibMcFragger

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2012
Vancity, BC
I just put another 8GB (2x4GB) of Corsair RAM in mine and it works fine with the OEM RAM, for a total of 12GB.

NOTE: I don't know why, but if you are going to install 2x4GB sticks and keep your OEM RAM, move the 2x2GB Samsung sticks down to the lower slots and install the new RAM in the top slots.

I read somewhere that it wouldn't POST if you didn't do it that way. I can't confirm this myself as I just did it when I install my Corsair RAM. :cool:

EdMan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2011
Michigan
I recently added 8G of OWC ram to my mid2011 21.5 iMac along with the stock 4G and it seems to be working just fine. I too put the new RAM in the top slots and the stock RAM in the bottom. System recognized it right away and no problems so far.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.