PDA

View Full Version : Oh no....its true...Intel switch, for those watching WWDC

ShadowHunter
Jun 6, 2005, 12:32 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

blodwyn
Jun 6, 2005, 12:58 PM
I fail to see what the issue is with switching to Intel. What exactly are you concerned about? The CPU chip is not what defines the Mac experience. Intel (and AMD) make very good chips, and I see cheaper & faster Macs in our future. No dependency on IBM either - having worked at IBM for a few years, I wouldn't trust them an inch.

mainstreetmark
Jun 6, 2005, 01:00 PM
I agree.

Megahertz Myth aside, these chips are just plain slower than Intel and after years of defending myself, I'm ready to have both the fastest chip AND the best operating system.

Had IBM crapped out a 3Ghz chip last year, we'd be in good shape, but they haven't, and now my 2 year old Powerbook is still 500MHz slower than the top of the line.

Tamer Brad
Jun 6, 2005, 01:04 PM
I don't understand what the big deal is ... Steve was using it the whole time and nobody noticed. There's no noticeable slowdown in apps for the most part. So why worry? Just because it's Intel?

Sounds like being plain elitist.

ftaok
Jun 6, 2005, 01:08 PM
I don't understand what the big deal is ... Steve was using it the whole time and nobody noticed. There's no noticeable slowdown in apps for the most part. So why worry? Just because it's Intel?

Sounds like being plain elitist.I think the main fear here is how does Apple plan to complete the transition to x86? What will happen to PPC based Macs after 2006? How long will Apple, and more importantly, 3rd-party software vendors continue to support PPC Macs?

Without a definative roadmap from Apple, I will be delaying my next Mac purchase until after the x86 transition. I kinda feel guilty now convincing my sister to switch to the iMac a couple of months ago. If her iMac isn't upgradeable after 2006, then she's going to be pissed. Hopefully, she won't catch on. :D

Tamer Brad
Jun 6, 2005, 01:10 PM
I think the main fear here is how does Apple plan to complete the transition to x86? What will happen to PPC based Macs after 2006? How long will Apple, and more importantly, 3rd-party software vendors continue to support PPC Macs?

Without a definative roadmap from Apple, I will be delaying my next Mac purchase until after the x86 transition. I kinda feel guilty now convincing my sister to switch to the iMac a couple of months ago. If her iMac isn't upgradeable after 2006, then she's going to be pissed. Hopefully, she won't catch on. :D

Apple knows what they're doing. They're not going to do this unless they're absolutely sure it will work.

Simple as that.

Veldek
Jun 6, 2005, 01:11 PM
I only hope Apple will offer to trade old Macs for new Macs (ie giving some kind of rebate), because I somehow doubt that all the developers will make their apps for both platforms...

mainstreetmark
Jun 6, 2005, 01:12 PM

Obviously they wouldn't do that.

Were you around during the PPC switch? Apps became "Fat", which meant they had compiled binaries for both types of chips.

In the macrumorslive page, they mention "Universal Binaries", which I assume are the same sort of thing. A single application will run on an Intel + IBM chips.

oumdaddy
Jun 6, 2005, 01:13 PM
Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but why would the processor change the coding with apps? Why would you have to change the code to be compatible if the OS is the same?

ftaok
Jun 6, 2005, 01:15 PM
Apple knows what they're doing. They're not going to do this unless they're absolutely sure it will work.

Simple as that.
I'm sure they know exactly what they're doing. I just want to be in the loop.

Anyways, I read some of the keynote and they're talking about dual-binaries. Sounds like the Fat-Binaries from the 68k to PPC switch. I just wonder how long Apple will continue to support the PPC Macs. That's my biggest question.

I'm sure Apple's software (OS X, iLife, etc.) will be compiled for both PPC and x86. It looks like Adobe is on board as well. But what about Microsoft? Will they code Office in this Universal Binary? Will x86 Macs be able to run software designed for PPC (like Toast Titanium 5, Photoshop Elements 2, etc) that I really don't want to re-buy?

I suppose Apple will release more details in the upcoming days. Should probably answer all questions that we Mac users have.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Jun 6, 2005, 01:15 PM
What the fu...ngus are they gonna sell from now until 2007...?

Apart from a few desperate souls, whose Mac break down (touch wood), who in their right mind will buy any new Mac untill Rev. B (or even C) of those new IntelMacs...? (unless Rev. A crashes and burns completely and Apple is reduced to a vague memory along with other dead or dying computer manufacturers... (remember Commodore, anyone?))

This may turn out to be a very sad day... :(

...but, I would love to be proven wrong, and that by some kind of miracle this is what it takes to take Apple up to 20% market share (of new systems) and in the long run break Microsoft's evil spell of the world... ;) :D

jeremy.king
Jun 6, 2005, 01:18 PM
I've got to imagine that VPC just got a *****load faster, hopefully just as fast as VPC in Windows.

ftaok
Jun 6, 2005, 01:19 PM
Obviously they wouldn't do that.

Were you around during the PPC switch? Apps became "Fat", which meant they had compiled binaries for both types of chips.

In the macrumorslive page, they mention "Universal Binaries", which I assume are the same sort of thing. A single application will run on an Intel + IBM chips.Yeah, I caught that after posting earlier. While Apple and their close vendors will code with Universal Binaries, what about other vendors. Like Roxio and Microsoft? I have current software like Toast 4, Photoshop Elements 2, Quicken2004 and Office 2004 which are coded for PPC. If I buy an x86 Mac, I'd like to be able to move my software over, but it doens't look like I can. Unless x86 Macs can run PPC software under emulation or something.

BTW, I was around during the first transition from 68k to PPC. I had an LC575 then and did not upgrade to PPC. I graduated college and bought a Win95 Toshiba laptop. I came back to Macs with the white iBook (2001). Overall, I was away for about 4 years.

Trout74
Jun 6, 2005, 01:21 PM
I have one question if someone could PLEASE answer it for me:

1. I read the IRC and read the updates, so has anyone figured out, HOW WILL APPLE PREVENT DELL AND HP from running Tiger on existing PC's?

2. Will apple quit making hardware? how will it differ, aside from physically, from other Wintel boxes?

I dont think Steve layed out a plan to keep Apple different from regular old dell boxes.

please explain.

trout

sethypoo
Jun 6, 2005, 01:23 PM
Would switching to x86 processors open up OS X to any type of "Windows" virus? Or does the OS you're running decide that?

atszyman
Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but why would the processor change the coding with apps? Why would you have to change the code to be compatible if the OS is the same?

Most of the application will not require re-coding, just a re-compile. However there are optimizations that are implemented that will have to be adjusted for the new architecture (Altivec). There is also the potential that any portion of the program concerned with memory accesses may need tweaking due to the differences in how PPC and Intel store data in memory (many compilers take care of this but I'm sure it isn't perfect).

I'm a bit disillusioned at the moment and am not sure what to make of it all...:confused:

ftaok
I have one question if someone could PLEASE answer it for me:

1. I read the IRC and read the updates, so has anyone figured out, HOW WILL APPLE PREVENT DELL AND HP from running Tiger on existing PC's?

2. Will apple quit making hardware? how will it differ, aside from physically, from other Wintel boxes?

I dont think Steve layed out a plan to keep Apple different from regular old dell boxes.

please explain.

troutI don't think anyone has said it officially, but it would be very easy for Apple to prevent OS X running on non-Apple x86 machines. Just require some sort of ROM chip to allow for booting of OS X. Of course, some enterprising engineer will probably figure out a way to get around that somehow.

Uma888
What next? Microsoft to switch to PPC?

I was going to switch later this month, looks like i wont, knowing that we will be getting 3ghz + macs next year

Applespider
Jun 6, 2005, 01:25 PM

No revenue shortage - everyone will be buying Applecare so that they don't have to replace their Mac until the Mactels are established! :p

sethypoo
Jun 6, 2005, 01:26 PM
What next? Microsoft to switch to PPC?

I was going to switch later this month, looks like i wont, knowing that we will be getting 3ghz + macs next year

What about the Megahertz Myth? Aren't 2Ghz Mac's (G5's) just as fast as a 3.2Ghz Pentium 4?

leekohler
Jun 6, 2005, 01:31 PM

Apart from a few desperate souls, whose Mac break down (touch wood), who in their right mind will buy any new Mac untill Rev. B (or even C) of those new IntelMacs...? (unless Rev. A crashes and burns completely and Apple is reduced to a vague memory along with other dead or dying computer manufacturers... (remember Commodore, anyone?))

This may turn out to be a very sad day... :(

...but, I would love to be proven wrong, and that by some kind of miracle this is what it takes to take Apple up to 20% market share (of new systems) and in the long run break Microsoft's evil spell of the world... ;) :D

This really is the trick, isn't it? Who in their right mind would buy an Apple right now? Sure as hell not me. I knew I was smart to stick by my old Sawtooth G4. No G5 for me! I'll get a Mactel I guess.

shadowmoses
Jun 6, 2005, 01:38 PM
Would switching to x86 processors open up OS X to any type of "Windows" virus? Or does the OS you're running decide that?

No it wouldnt as OS X is secure not the hardware, so long as the operating system stays secure macs will remain virus and malware free. so the transition to intel will not cause these kind of problems.

Shadow :eek:

Tilmitt
Jun 6, 2005, 03:55 PM
A curse on Steve and a curse on x86! I hope ye all rot with your Inelegant Intel Macs! I'll never run an Intel Mac, I'm going to buy a PM after their last update and fill it with RAM and last for all enternity!