PDA

View Full Version : Megahertz Myth

AtHomeBoy_2000
Jun 6, 2005, 01:06 PM
For years Apple has been adamint that just because the P4 had a higher MHz, that didnt mean it is better. Now that APple has announced that they are switching to the P4, what happens to the MHz Myth? I would assume they wouldnt do this unless they have tested it significantly and can prove that the switch is benificial. On MacRumorsLive it says "Every release of OS has been compiled for intel x86 for the last 5 years - cross platform by design." THat leads me to beleive that the switch should be seemless. Any thoughts?

Uma888
Jun 6, 2005, 01:30 PM
Seamless, Yes.

The real question is what about the mac community, will they "switch" seamlessly?

bousozoku
Jun 6, 2005, 01:35 PM
Well, when they started talking about the Megahertz Myth, it made sense. A PPC604/604e vs. a Pentium II/3 running at the same clock speed showed the PPC processor to be quite a bit faster. Then, the 604e hit the wall at 350 MHz and the Pentium 3 was running at 600. The 604e was keeping up nicely but after that, it was all downhill as the x86 architecture continued to speed along.

The transition will be pretty seamless, as it was from 68000->PPC but it will be a slow transition, I think. Adobe has some of the oldest applications still out there and their performance is pretty bad overall. I think they'll be in translation mode for quite a while. Hopefully, I'm wrong though.

javiercr
Jun 6, 2005, 01:52 PM
they are not only talking about ghz, they are talking about heat and power consumption and why they can't put a G5 on a laptop

also, people in this forum is always complaining that they don't have a 3ghz G5, if you can't fight the Ghz myth even with the mac addicts of this forum how are you going to convince the rest of the market? if you can't beat them join them.

dodonutter
Jun 6, 2005, 02:13 PM
Was there any actual suggestion of what processor Intel will provide...i know its going to be x86 but it won't be a P4 will it? I admit i know very little about Intels products as i have always followed IBM and Motos chips for obvious reasons.

Hear a lot about the Itanium but i looked it up and it only seems to be at the 1.6GHz level which is where the G4s are at now. Still can't see why the Intel chips are better than the G5s at the moment

brap
Jun 6, 2005, 02:15 PM
Yeah, sorry guys. We were lying.

slb
Jun 6, 2005, 02:29 PM
Apparently, Jobs even went through the timeline of old Intel-bashing commercials from Apple and said Intel chips have improved a lot since then.

bousozoku
Jun 6, 2005, 03:37 PM
Was there any actual suggestion of what processor Intel will provide...i know its going to be x86 but it won't be a P4 will it? I admit i know very little about Intels products as i have always followed IBM and Motos chips for obvious reasons.

Hear a lot about the Itanium but i looked it up and it only seems to be at the 1.6GHz level which is where the G4s are at now. Still can't see why the Intel chips are better than the G5s at the moment

The Itanium, also known as the Itanic, sunk. The Itanium 2 has gained some ground. They've sold over 1000 of them, I believe.

It will most likely be a version of the newest Pentium or Pentium D and possibly, Xeons for servers.