PDA

View Full Version : ibook reformatted, now can't burn cd's

MacAuntie
Jun 6, 2005, 01:33 PM
Trying to be a good auntie, I recently installed a new 40 gb hard drive into my niece's older 500 mhz 12 " white ibook w/ Combo drive. Formatted new hd, installed OS 10.3.6, many applications (CS2, Office) and all work great--until I tried to burn a cd for her.

Blank CD would not mount on desktop and got message that "OSX could not use the disk--did I want to ignore or cancel." Tried various types blank disks.

Then I wondered if a need to install a driver?
Apple Support site light on the subject.

Do I need to go back to old system disk (OSX) and find a driver?

ftaok
Jun 6, 2005, 01:51 PM
Trying to be a good auntie, I recently installed a new 40 gb hard drive into my niece's older 500 mhz 12 " white ibook w/ Combo drive. Formatted new hd, installed OS 10.3.6, many applications (CS2, Office) and all work great--until I tried to burn a cd for her.

Blank CD would not mount on desktop and got message that "OSX could not use the disk--did I want to ignore or cancel." Tried various types blank disks.

Then I wondered if a need to install a driver?
Apple Support site light on the subject.

Do I need to go back to old system disk (OSX) and find a driver?I've never had a problem burning with my iBook after changing the hard drive. How did you install the OS? What it from a cloned hard drive or directly off of an Install CD?

Also, check to see if you can burn via iTunes.

Another test would be to create another user account and see if you can burn from Finder with that account.

Keep us updated.

MacAuntie
Jun 6, 2005, 01:59 PM
I used a Panther OS install disk, then ran a combo updater from the Apple site to get it up to 10.3.6

I will try burning from itunes and as a new user and see if that works.

ftaok
Jun 6, 2005, 02:03 PM
I used a Panther OS install disk, then ran a combo updater from the Apple site to get it up to 10.3.6

I will try burning from itunes and as a new user and see if that works.
The only other thing I can think of is that you might have missed a connection on the CD drive when putting it back together. Kinda unlikely since you were able to read from the Combo Drive to install OS X.

You should also try reparing permissions as well. I'm kinda surprised that I didn't suggest that first. It seems to be a problem solver for many little issues.

Hopefully, there's nothing wrong with the hardware. Good Luck.

MacAuntie
Jun 9, 2005, 02:27 PM
Thanks for the quick response. It worked! :)