Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

showtimeanytime-150x150.jpg

Showtime has joined fellow premium television network HBO in offering an iPad app to stream video to its subscribers. The free app, called Showtime Anytime, serves up Showtime's original programming -- TV series like Homeland, Dexter and Weeds, among other things like boxing -- and the movies running on the various Showtime networks.
Get unlimited access to full length versions of your favorite SHOWTIME® programs - acclaimed Original Series, uncut hit movies, hard hitting sports, comedy, reality/documentaries and much more, right at your fingertips.
Currently, the app only works for Showtime subscribers through AT&T U-Verse and Verizon FiOS. Comcast subscribers can access Showtime's content through the Xfinity TV app, but Showtime says the Anytime app will work for Comcast subs "soon."

showtimescreenshot.jpg

The app is expected to arrive on the iPhone in early 2012. For now, though, Showtime Anytime for iPad is free on the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Showtime Delivers Streaming Video to iPad

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
A little tangentially off topic, but does anyone know if Showtime offers streaming movies for MacBooks - like HBO GO, Max GO, and Epix HD?

NameUndecided

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2011
Yay! What a great surprise. I'm quite happy with having U-Verse.
The movie selection in the app is quite a bit more widespread than the channel's On Demand. Their selection of TV shows aren't quite as expansive as HBO Go's. Not all of Showtime's series are offered (you can watch The Real L Word, but not the original The L Word), but all of the recent and currently running seem to be given. Some have all seasons (Dexter, The Tudors), some only the most recent (Weeds).

A little tangentially off topic, but does anyone know if Showtime offers streaming movies for MacBooks - like HBO GO, Max GO, and Epix HD?

showtimeanytime.com

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Yay! What a great surprise. I'm quite happy with having U-Verse.
The movie selection in the app is quite a bit more widespread than the channel's On Demand. Their selection of TV shows aren't quite as expansive as HBO Go's. Not all of Showtime's series are offered (you can watch The Real L Word, but not the original The L Word), but all of the recent and currently running seem to be given. Some have all seasons (Dexter, The Tudors), some only the most recent (Weeds).

showtimeanytime.com

Hey, thanks, Name.

I hope you don't mind my addressing you by your first name, Name. :D ;)

justjohn025

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2011
Currently, the app only works for Showtime subscribers through AT&T U-Verse and Verizon FiOS. Comcast subscribers can access Showtime's content through the Xfinity TV app, but Showtime says the Anytime app will work for Comcast subs "soon."

I have Xfinity and Showtime. I've been watching Showtime through the Xfinity app and same with HBO, although I use HBO Go once in a while, when they have episodes that air the week after on TV. I've wondered though, what's the point of the Showtime or HBO apps when you can watch the same thing on Xfinity, and U-Verse I'm guessing, to get a different UI/layout, or did I just answer my own question?

NameUndecided

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2011
I have Xfinity and Showtime. I've been watching Showtime through the Xfinity app and same with HBO, although I use HBO Go once in a while, when they have episodes that air the week after on TV. I've wondered though, what's the point of the Showtime or HBO apps when you can watch the same thing on Xfinity, and U-Verse I'm guessing, to get a different UI/layout, or did I just answer my own question?

As far as I know, I can't watch any channels through any available u-verse app. It's not really a feature that I miss (but it probably could be if I ever had a service that provided it and then I didn't have it anymore). I guess having u-verse as one of the first participating providers for these channel-specific apps sort of makes up for it.

TonicAngel

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2003
California
Hmm.. I wonder if direct tv will opt in for this. Wish I could get att-uverse where I live it seems they are first on the bandwagon for streaming apps.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
talk to me when I can pay $20 a month to Showtime to watch shows and movies via the app without having to first pay $60 a month to a cable company. Especially since Time Warner is the only thing available in my area and they are the last to sign up for these things.

same with HBO

That kind of direct pay system would be a killer feature if the apps were supported on the Apple TV. Heck if they were I would run out and buy an Apple TV tonight. Netflix just wasn't enough to make me have to have one

flux73

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2009
Oh come on premium cable providers! When is one of you going to grow a pair of balls and offer content direct to consumers who have cut the cable? I'd happily pay up to $15 a month directly into Showtime pockets ($20 to HBO) if they offered it. I refuse to subscribe to cable to do it. I bet I'm not alone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.