PDA

View Full Version : Codecademy

Tilpots
Jan 10, 2012, 02:37 PM
I'm giving Codecademy (http://www.codecademy.com/) a try and wanted to see if anybody else is doing the same. Maybe we can help each other out. So far, it's been good, but when I've gotten stuck, there's no place to ask questions. Please, feel free to ask questions here and hopefully we'll help each other get by.

If you haven't heard of it, read this (http://techcrunch.com/2012/01/03/codecademys-codeyear-attracts-100000-aspiring-programmers-in-48-hours/) and this (http://money.cnn.com/2011/11/29/smallbusiness/codecademy/index.htm). So far they've signed up over 200,000 people for their January classes.

If you're one of those +200k, say "hello!"

dauber
Jan 10, 2012, 03:20 PM
I really would LOVE to do CodeAcademy's Ruby On Rails course, but 1) I have a day job, so their schedule wouldn't work, and 2) the $6000 is extremely cost-prohibitive. (Is there financial aid available??)

In fact, I'm finding the whole Ruby On Rails thing to be extremely exclusive...kind of a pain. The only other class I could find was a program where I'm going for my master's, and you have to pay a nonrefundable application fee and then they'll decide whether or not to accept you, and the schedule is RIDICULOUS, like three nights a week...

Tilpots
Jan 10, 2012, 03:30 PM
I think we're talking about different programs. Is the Code Academy you're referring to in Chicago? The Codecademy I'm working on is an online, beginner's, learn-to-program course. If I'm gonna get billed $6,000 for this, I'm not going home tonight. :o

Hexiii
Jan 10, 2012, 03:39 PM
Wow, this seems like a great idea. I've done 4 lessons so far and I think I am going to continue tomorrow :)

dauber
Jan 10, 2012, 03:42 PM
Ahh...okay...didn't realize there was that one. :)

I might do it just to brush up on my JavaScript skills...

Tilpots
Jan 10, 2012, 03:49 PM
Wow, this seems like a great idea. I've done 4 lessons so far and I think I am going to continue tomorrow :)

Nice! I've done 2 so far. Hoping to get some time this weekend do more.

Ahh...okay...didn't realize there was that one. :)

I might do it just to brush up on my JavaScript skills...

If you already know javascript and take the class, I'd love to hear your thoughts on how effective the course is and what your thoughts are on the program. I basically know zero about programming so I hope these classes are thorough!

balamw
Jan 10, 2012, 08:11 PM
Thread moved to Mac Programming as we do get a lot of beginners 'round these parts and this could be a useful resource for them.

B

Tilpots
Jan 10, 2012, 08:39 PM
Thread moved to Mac Programming as we do get a lot of beginners 'round these parts and this could be a useful resource for them.

B

Thanks, balamw!

Newbs and skilled alike, feel free to share your talents!

tlimongello
Jan 10, 2012, 08:50 PM
I can't seem to figure out FizzBuzz. I'm stuck at step 4 because either its not possible to have more than one "else if" or I'm doing something else wrong. Either way I get into a rut where I have 3 answers for #15 'Fizz', 'Buzz' & 'FizzBuzz', 2 answers, Fizz or Buzz and FizzBuzz, or one answer and then I lose the other Fizzes or Buzzes throughout the other 20 #s. Anyone know why?

Tilpots
Jan 11, 2012, 09:21 AM
^^Unfortunately, I'm not that far along yet. Hopefully I'll get there by the weekend and I'll try to help then.

Airforcekid
Jan 11, 2012, 10:42 AM
I signed up for it not to far in just working with arrays sometimes though I can't pass a section even if I copy and paste the code it gives in the hint section. Overall it's easy and fun for free.

KnightWRX
Jan 11, 2012, 10:54 AM
I can't seem to figure out FizzBuzz. I'm stuck at step 4 because either its not possible to have more than one "else if" or I'm doing something else wrong. Either way I get into a rut where I have 3 answers for #15 'Fizz', 'Buzz' & 'FizzBuzz', 2 answers, Fizz or Buzz and FizzBuzz, or one answer and then I lose the other Fizzes or Buzzes throughout the other 20 #s. Anyone know why?

What language are you trying to write FizzBuzz in and what is your code ? We can't know why if you don't show us the code.

FizzBuzz is pretty simple really.

chrisvee
Jan 11, 2012, 11:59 AM
Seems interesting! I'll take a look when I have some time. I'd like to brush up on some things.. Feels like I haven't programmed in a while.

(Says a third year CS student) :D

lepeos
Jan 12, 2012, 09:25 AM
Can anyone explain Javascript Quick Start Lesson 1 Exercise 4 to me please?

I managed to get through the first part and FizzBuzz okay but this has me stumped. I'll copy and paste what it wants me to do below.

thanks

// Don't worry about the syntax of declaring a
// function - we'll go over that later.

// This should return true if the first number is bigger
// than the second number and false if the first number
// is smaller or equal to the second number.
function isGreaterThan(first, second) {

// Add a test here to compare the two numbers
if ( ) {
return true;
} else {
return false;
}
}

I know I have to put something after IF but i just don't know what.

Much appreciated.

KnightWRX
Jan 12, 2012, 09:34 AM
Can anyone explain Javascript Quick Start Lesson 1 Exercise 4 to me please?

I managed to get through the first part and FizzBuzz okay but this has me stumped. I'll copy and paste what it wants me to do below.

thanks

// Don't worry about the syntax of declaring a
// function - we'll go over that later.

// Add a test here to compare the two numbers
if ( ) {
return true;
} else {
return false;
}
}

I know I have to put something after IF but i just don't know what.

Much appreciated.

This should return true if the first number is bigger. So... hum... check that it is ?

Use the comparison operators.

lepeos
Jan 12, 2012, 09:45 AM
I sort of understand what I have to do, maybe if I explain what I'm trying to put in.

So first thing is I'm not sure if I'm supposed to use isGreaterThan or if i can just use >

Next i don't understand if I should put parenthesis after if and before isGreaterThan and then after this again with the numbers in it, ie

if ( 4 isGreaterThan (8, 10) )

Finally I don't really understand why there is supposed to be two number simply seperated like that anyway

This must be coming across as ultra-noob...sorry

naples98
Jan 12, 2012, 10:34 AM
I sort of understand what I have to do, maybe if I explain what I'm trying to put in.

So first thing is I'm not sure if I'm supposed to use isGreaterThan or if i can just use >

Next i don't understand if I should put parenthesis after if and before isGreaterThan and then after this again with the numbers in it, ie

if ( 4 isGreaterThan (8, 10) )

Finally I don't really understand why there is supposed to be two number simply seperated like that anyway

This must be coming across as ultra-noob...sorry

The function isGreaterThan accepts two numbers which are stored in the variables "first" and "second". You should understand this by now. You don't know what is stored in them though so the function is supposed to tell you which is bigger.

Your job is to use comparison operators (>, <, >=, <=, etc.) to determine if first is bigger than second. If so, you return true.

You do not call the isGreaterThan function from within the isGreaterThan function to do this. This is called recursion and is way more advanced so don't worry about it, just don't do it.

KnightWRX
Jan 12, 2012, 11:33 AM

The exercise is to implement the isGreaterThan function. If you call it from inside the if, you're doing recurssion, which is going to end up as a big infinit loop in this case (and eventually crash the application from lack of stack space).

lepeos
Jan 12, 2012, 11:40 AM
Thanks for taking the time to help but I still can't seem to get it.

You're right that I should have spotted the fact that "First" and "Second" were variables because of the quotation marks and I can see now what the Comparison Operators are, but I'm still drawing a blank, I'll post what I have below and try and explain what I'm trying to do.

if (first >= second) {
return true;
} else {
return false;
}
}

So I'm trying to prove that the variable "First" is higher than "Second" so I can get 'true' so I thought I could just use If to state that.

Part of the problem i think is that it won't let me reload the original dialogue so i don't know if there's anything I've added erroneously and not taking out.

Haha I was so smug at how I flew through the first part, I think I probably need to go back and do it again.

chrisvee
Jan 12, 2012, 12:11 PM

According to the instructions, you want to make the if statement return true ONLY when the first number is GREATER than the second. If the first value is SMALLER or EQUAL to the second, you want to return false.

Thanks for taking the time to help but I still can't seem to get it.

You're right that I should have spotted the fact that "First" and "Second" were variables because of the quotation marks and I can see now what the Comparison Operators are, but I'm still drawing a blank, I'll post what I have below and try and explain what I'm trying to do.

if (first >= second) {
return true;
} else {
return false;
}
}

So I'm trying to prove that the variable "First" is higher than "Second" so I can get 'true' so I thought I could just use If to state that.

Part of the problem i think is that it won't let me reload the original dialogue so i don't know if there's anything I've added erroneously and not taking out.

Haha I was so smug at how I flew through the first part, I think I probably need to go back and do it again.

Read the instructions carefully, and compare it with your code. You're very close. ;)

dauber
Jan 12, 2012, 02:42 PM
Well...FizzBuzz just plain will not run. Anybody else have this problem? Tried Firefox and Internet Exploder on W7...

naples98
Jan 12, 2012, 03:26 PM
Well...FizzBuzz just plain will not run. Anybody else have this problem? Tried Firefox and Internet Exploder on W7...

"Will not run" is pretty hard to debug. Is it just your FizzBuzz program or every piece of code you try to run?

I've had no problems with the website and I'm using Safari on Mac OSX

Jamesbot
Jan 12, 2012, 04:29 PM
did you call your function of just declare it?

dauber
Jan 13, 2012, 02:31 PM
I didn't have a function in FizzBuzz; just straight code.

I did leave feedback saying it wouldn't run (that is, no code would execute. at all.) -- and it suddenly works now, so there might have been a bug. Used the exact same code.

Got through the whole thing now.

chaser7016
Jan 14, 2012, 12:37 PM
I just found this Codecademy and I'm a bit lost on one of the first exercises.

I typed var myName then typed myName = Robert successfully. It then asked me to enter full name (myFullName), which I entered var myFullName = Robert Jones, but it says that's wrong. Any idea where I went wrong?

Also anyone know other sites like Codecademy.com (http://codecademy.com) or CodePupil.com (http://codepupil.com)?

I'm an eager beaver and want to create my own web app in next 3 months!

Tilpots
Jan 14, 2012, 02:11 PM

I typed var myName then typed myName = Robert successfully. It then asked me to enter full name (myFullName), which I entered var myFullName = Robert Jones, but it says that's wrong. Any idea where I went wrong?

Make sure you have your quotes and semi-colon in the right place.

saberahul
Jan 17, 2012, 06:47 PM
Great to finally find a thread on this! I gave CodeAcademy a try long ago and completed course 1 and 3 successfully. However, in course 2 I am stuck.

Titled:
JavaScript Quick Start Guide

Exercise:
Booleans

Problem #3:
Bang Operator

Problem Statement:
The bang operator (!) is used to change a truthy value to a falsy value or vice versa.

For instance, !true is false. Similarly, !null is true because null is falsy.

We can use this to check if something is not true.

Work through the example and then hit enter to continue.

My Approach:
function sad(value)
{
// If a value is falsy, return the string ':('.
// Otherwise, don't return anything.
if(!value)
{
console.log(":(");
}
else
{
console.log("");
}
}

Result:
:(
Oops, try again.

What exactly am I doing wrong?

naples98
Jan 17, 2012, 07:09 PM
My Approach:
function sad(value)
{
// If a value is falsy, return the string ':('.
// Otherwise, don't return anything.
if(!value)
{
console.log(":(");
}
else
{
console.log("");
}
}

Result:
:(
Oops, try again.

The requirements to pass this exercise are "If a value is falsy, return the string ':('. Otherwise, don't return anything.". You are not returning anything from your function.

Think about what the requirements are asking for and what you are doing in your code that doesn't satisfy them.

dauber
Jan 30, 2012, 01:13 PM
Sorry about the blank reply...I just posted a huge message about a Codecademy exercise that's not working but should. I just now realized there are discussion forums on the site, and they say there's a bug in that exercise. :)

ScoobyMcDoo
Jan 30, 2012, 03:45 PM

Also anyone know other sites like Codecademy.com (http://codecademy.com) or CodePupil.com (http://codepupil.com)?

I'm an eager beaver and want to create my own web app in next 3 months!

Stanford has some of their classes available for free on their web site. Some of them are also on iTunesU. I'm doing their ios programming course now. They have a few interesting EE courses I plan to do also.