Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Flares

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2012
LA
New here and I'm trying to decide which iTouch to buy my wife. I have been going back in forth between the 32GB https://www.amazon.com/Apple-MD058LLA-Generation-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B005GS3C9C and the 64GB https://www.amazon.com/Apple-touch-Generation-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B001FA1O1S

She listens to books and music and I image will get into a few games and apps. She will also probably want to have some pictures of our kids on there too. I usually thought you should buy the bigger size to future proof the purchase, but now I hear you can stream your music and other stuff, so maybe the hard disk size isn't as relevant. Can anyone give me some feedback on what size to get a medium user of an itouch? Am I making a mistake and should I be looking at the 8GB?

Chi-mex

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2011
.....behind you
New here and I'm trying to decide which iTouch to buy my wife. I have been going back in forth between the 32GB https://www.amazon.com/Apple-MD058LLA-Generation-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B005GS3C9C and the 64GB https://www.amazon.com/Apple-touch-Generation-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B001FA1O1S

She listens to books and music and I image will get into a few games and apps. She will also probably want to have some pictures of our kids on there too. I usually thought you should buy the bigger size to future proof the purchase, but now I hear you can stream your music and other stuff, so maybe the hard disk size isn't as relevant. Can anyone give me some feedback on what size to get a medium user of an itouch? Am I making a mistake and should I be looking at the 8GB?

I like to think that if you are good are organization, then you will never need anything bigger than the smallest size. So 8gb would be good for her if she deletes stuff if she stops using it. Pics dont take up that much, i have about 300+ pics on mine, but not that much room is takin up on it. Music might take up a gig, and a few gaming apps (i am taking a guess and say angry birds and that type of stuff) might take up 2gb. I have an 8gb (really 6.5gb) and about 1.1gb vacant
You mentions kids, if they are old enough to use an itouch and dont already have one, then you probably want the 32, cause they will probably downloads lots when you arent looking.

az55za

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2012
narnia
i have a 32gb which is about 28gb with the ios on it. 1000 songs is around 9gb if that helps, to me the 32gb is fine but for some people that have like 6000 songs, 400 photos, and 170 apps they need the 64gb

its your choice this is just my opinion

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
If you plan on using the camera on the iPod touch in addition to the music, photos, videos, and apps, then I would recommend the 64gb version. Although the still camera on it isn't the greatest, it does a decent job and if you record video on it (which is better than the stills), then that will take up some more space.

With the 64gb model you will have enough space to manage your media and apps as well as take videos and photos on a trip without having to worry about offloading media during your trip.

stickybuns

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2011
Music streaming will require an internet connection. Does your wife prefer listening to music at home or at establishments (e.g. Starbucks) that offer free wifi? Or does she wish to listen to music while out jogging? Although I do enjoy streaming music through the Pandora app, I still prefer having my own music with me so that I'm not dependent on having access to a server. If your wife is a real audiophile, she might need the bigger drive (especially if that collection is likely to grow!); however, 32GBs is a fairly reasonable size to work within. For instance, my own collection of 1,200 songs only takes up about 5GBs. What can really take up a lot of space are video files and games.

tonyr6

macrumors 68000
Oct 13, 2011
Brooklyn NY
I previously was using a 32 GB 3rd Generation iPod Touch. I upgraded to the 64 GB 4th Generation white iPod Touch. I got the extra space just in case I needed it even though 32 GB is still enough space. 8 GB is pathetic as with just my apps and music I would not have enough space. 16 GB should be the cheapest one.

Invincibilizer

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2011
I have the 8GB, bit cramped but it is passable. And it was 199$, take advantage of price cut and get it.

To give you an idea of how much I have.

200 Photos
20 mini videos
150 apps
100 Songs

100 MB left

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
The deciding factor in this one is time vs. money. If your budget is tight then you will need to spend the time required to better manage your media. This will require more frequent syncing as she shuffles media on and off of the iPod. If your budget is not tight and you are willing to spend more than having more space means you can spend less time managing and store more stuff at one time.

By far videos tend to take up the most space, but if she is not going to put movies, TV shows, etc. on the device then she will be able to do more as music and audio books will not take up too much space. Streaming will be an option while on wifi and could cut down on the space needed for music if you are willing to pay for a subscription music service. However, keep in mind that if she goes somewhere without wifi then she will lose this option.

My wife and I have 32gb iPhones and that seems like a good amount of space for what we do. She keeps movies on it for the kiddos, we both listen to music, and we have a fair amount of apps and games. If you are not buying it as a present and can talk to your wife about it then I'd ask her what she thinks.

jpeebs

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2011
I have a 64gig with almost 11,000 songs (most with album art), over 1,000 pictures and videos (though i'd say less than 20 are videos), and a butt load of apps and still have 12 gigs open. I don't have any books on it so i'm not really sure how much room they take up but hopefully this gives you an idea of how much you can store on it.

menolly13

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2011
I primarily use my ipod for books and music. I have the 32g, and have about 6g free right now. Music takes up the most space - 18g worth - with the rest being split between apps, photos, books, etc. If the 64g is in your budget, go for it. Otherwise, she will be fine with the 32g so long as she takes things off when she is done with them.

moderately

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2010
With slightly less than 5000 songs I am using slightly less than 37g for music. I did not enjoy managing my 20g iPod's music, I prefer just to have everything with me. The other thing is that the quality of my music files is being improved and this requires more space.

I tend to hold my devices a long time and so the larger size seemed practical, Though this iPod may outdate quicker as more apps are built for more powerful processers and larger ram.

Luck!

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
My just under 3000 iTunes matched songs take up around 20gbs on my iDevice. Just to let you know.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.