PDA

View Full Version : Intel Processor

ryan42
Jun 6, 2005, 03:11 PM
Let's just for a moment say that the next high end Intel Mac will use a non-Pentium processor.
They could be Xeon based. Xeons have 64-bit capabilities. They are very fast. They are often dual processor configured.

They could be Itanium2's. Itaniums are expensive, slow on the clock speed, but have low power versions, good for laptops or the ItainiBook. (:-P)

What do you think the processor will be in the new Macs? And do you think we will ever see a G5 powerbook or will PowerBooks with G5s be lost in this transition?

Also, I don't get why Apple won't fab it's own CPUs. That's what made Commodore so popular long ago. They had their own fab plant where they made the 6502s that Apple bought for the GS!

Rod Rod
Jun 6, 2005, 03:17 PM
My guess is that the chips Intel makes for Apple will likely have distinct branding. Of course I could be completely wrong. How the G for generation nomenclature continues will be something interesting to watch.

If the Intel chips Apple gets next year for its boxes are branded as G6, well I'd hope they're a generational leap beyond the IBM produced G5s.

The non-PPC-nature of the Intel chips shouldn't mess up the naming scheme. Generations 1 and 2 (before the G3, and of course before the G naming scheme) were (iirc) non-PPC.

ryan42
Jun 6, 2005, 03:22 PM
I thought G1 and G2 were 603 and 604s (first and second gen PPCs IIRC)

Rod Rod
Jun 6, 2005, 03:58 PM
I thought G1 and G2 were 603 and 604s (first and second gen PPCs IIRC)
my bad. thanks.

KREX725
Jun 6, 2005, 04:16 PM
This was one of my first thoughts too. If the "G" only denotes the PowerPC generations, will it be a G6 or an entirely new line name... Hmmmmm...

I'm sure it's been said already in the numerous (bazillion perhaps?) postings, but I found it funny that the next OSX is Leopard. I guess in this case, a Leopard really can shed its spots!

Rod Rod
Jun 6, 2005, 04:43 PM
This was one of my first thoughts too. If the "G" only denotes the PowerPC generations, will it be a G6 or an entirely new line name... Hmmmmm...

I'm sure it's been said already in the numerous (bazillion perhaps?) postings, but I found it funny that the next OSX is Leopard. I guess in this case, a Leopard really can shed its spots!
Maybe the G will be replaced with an "i." (ok, bad joke).

iGary
Jun 6, 2005, 04:45 PM
I agree with Rod, there is no way Steve is going to agree to call the processor something other than an Apple marketed name.

Then again, I thought what happened today would never happen either.

G6 sounds nice to me.