Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tom vilsack

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 20, 2010
ladner cdn
the new dell xps 13" looks pretty nice...with that screen (love the non bezel) and starting with 128 ssd for $999...apple might have to up there game with next gen...

ViewMedia

KohPhiPhi

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2011
I personally like the Asus Zenbook UX31 (even though it's a blatant copy of the MBA 13"). I love its 1600x900 resolution, and it's a really beautiful machine, plus it's around $200 cheaper than a similarly spec'ed MBA 13".

That being said, I still stick to my MBA because of OSX. OSX is well worth paying the extra $200.

side-open-shadow.jpg

Colpeas

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2011
Prague, Czech Rep.
MBA, definitely.

Personally, i would prefer the MBA. It is silly to have a copy of something not much more expensive... And besides, it runs Windows.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
Yeah, why is OSX so special?

I mean gestures are cool, but nothing else I see makes it any better than Windows as a operating system.

Of course, if you're a Apple only home or business I can see the need but you are all saying OSX is a critical difference, and I cant see why?

jterp7

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
I personally like the Asus Zenbook UX31 (even though it's a blatant copy of the MBA 13"). I love its 1600x900 resolution, and it's a really beautiful machine, plus it's around $200 cheaper than a similarly spec'ed MBA 13".

That being said, I still stick to my MBA because of OSX. OSX is well worth paying the extra $200.

I tried both the sony $2999 with the external radeon dock and the asus and wanted to like them, but the screens on both were not even on the same level as the MBA's (and the MBA's screen get blasted here by the 15" MBP elitists), additionally the trackpad just didn't feel as nice. Until they can considerably undercut the price, they are going to have problems IMO. It looks like Dell gets it, but if apple's base 13" is $1299, the windows offering should be at minimum $1099. Considering the open box/refurb deals are everywhere for MBAs, asus/dell/acer need to be well equipped with decent screens and 128gb SSD for $999 or less to compete well.

The sony combo could be nice if they get it to $1XXX with the dock...$3k is just too hard to swallow for just a external drive and 6630, I might as well build my own desktop machine + mba for that price.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I don't have to wait 3 minutes, only to be confronted with Windows updates, anti virus updates, anti malware updates, driver updates etc.

OSX is faster, more reliable, the software is cheaper and better, it works seamlessly with all my other Apple devices....

And on, and on, and on...:)

jterp7

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
Yeah, why is OSX so special?

I mean gestures are cool, but nothing else I see makes it any better than Windows as a operating system.

Of course, if you're a Apple only home or business I can see the need but you are all saying OSX is a critical difference, and I cant see why?

lol that was the one negative for me..but I'm getting used to it. I wanted a cheap 13" 128gb SSD machine and for $900 the MBA beat all the other windows offerings at the time, given its high res screen and 7hr battery life.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
I don't have to wait 3 minutes, only to be confronted with Windows updates, anti virus updates, anti malware updates, driver updates etc.

OS X seems to get as frequent updates as Windows. Wait 3 minutes why ?

OSX is faster, more reliable

Debatable.

the software is cheaper and better

Depends on the software.

it works seamlessly with all my other Apple devices....

What Apple device doesn't work seemlessly with Windows ? As long as you have iTunes installed, pretty much anything goes.

Please, go on.

Frankly, most people have a preference for OS X, but there's no real need for it. In the end, you don't use an OS, you perform tasks with a computer. Those tasks are sometimes tied to applications which can tie you to an OS, but between Windows and OS X, there's really nothing that's exclusive to OS X. Linux is a bit harder to find software for everything, but it could even still be an option.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I am still turned off at Intel's graphics. Trinity at least made some showing at CES but good lord AMD is betting everything on that one die and being tight lipped about it.

cvkai

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2010
Trackpad

Apple notebooks have the best trackpad. If I had a PC notebook, I would carry a mouse with me.

Frankly, most people have a preference for OS X, but there's no real need for it. In the end, you don't use an OS, you perform tasks with a computer. Those tasks are sometimes tied to applications which can tie you to an OS, but between Windows and OS X, there's really nothing that's exclusive to OS X. Linux is a bit harder to find software for everything, but it could even still be an option.

You're right. I prefer Windows when using Office (my main task). I think Office 2010 is better than Office 2011 for Mac.

Last edited:

Dynax

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2011
Munich
What is tying you to OS X ? What application is Mac exclusive that you use ? Just curious.

I'm really not a Mac-Fanboy. Heck I only own one Mac (and right now I'm sitting at a Windows machine).

But good lord, it feels so much better using OSX. I don't need to describe any facts or examples. Even though I used windows for years, I feel so much more comfortable with OSX. I got so used with it, I'm working much faster with that. And the trackpad is also nice to have (but not THAT important to me).

Seriously, when it comes to ultrabooks I even wish that the new Sony Vaio Z-Model would rund OSX. Because if it did, it would just be my perfect machine, as I really don't need it to have a Apple-Logo and unibody.

I mean this "feeling" isn't something debatable. You can always compare speed, number of available apps etc. but after all it really does depend on how you're working with it and what is more fun to you.

robvas

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2009
USA
All the ultra books are 'worse' than the Airs. They all have issues with things like the keyboard, having plastic parts, the screen not being any good, the trackpad sucking...

Not that all of those things are bad on all Ultrabooks, but none of them have the complete package like the Air. Plus, OS X is awesome.

The Dell is fine if you want a thin Windows laptop. But Dell makes them cheaper, it's the only thing thay can do because they can't make things 'better'.

altecXP

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2009

OSX is faster, more reliable, the software is cheaper and better, it works seamlessly with all my other Apple devices....

So you are saying you haven't used a Windows PC since 2001?

I have 5 Mac's in my house and work at a company supporting Mac and PC Every time I see posts like this I know they are just made by uneducated people who like to stick their foot in their mouths.

We have a design, development, Video, audio, Flash, User Experience, marketing, finance... none of those jobs REQUIRE OS X, the users just prefer them. Any of the jobs could easily be done on a Windows PC just as well.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
But good lord, it feels so much better using OSX.

I mean this "feeling" isn't something debatable.

Sure it is, because it's highly subjective. I find no great "better feeling" in OS X over Linux. I use OS X right now because I wanted a few commercial applications that Linux didn't have.

tom vilsack

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 20, 2010
ladner cdn
gees didn't want this to turn into a windows vs osx topic...

just wanted to point out the killer non bezel....hoping next gen air uses cornings next gen gorilla glass... and gives us a 128 ssd as standard for $999...

with these ultra books pushing towards the air..it's bound to give apple some needed comp...which is always a good thing...and can only make air's better.

altecXP

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2009
gees didn't want this to turn into a windows vs osx topic...

just wanted to point out the killer non bezel....hoping next gen air uses cornings next gen gorilla glass... and gives us a 128 ssd as standard for $999...

with these ultra books pushing towards the air..it's bound to give apple some needed comp...which is always a good thing...and can only make air's better.

In mentioning a Windows PC you made it a Mac/Windows debate.

Last edited by a moderator:

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA

That, and if anything goes wrong you can bring it to an Apple store and they will repair or replace it free for a year...and the extended warranty isn't that much.

Have fun dealing with Dell and Asus when it craps out on you!

Outrigger

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2008
That, and if anything goes wrong you can bring it to an Apple store and they will repair or replace it free for a year...and the extended warranty isn't that much.

Have fun dealing with Dell and Asus when it craps out on you!

Apple is king, OS X is best, every person in the world should use OS X, wear the same black turtle neck and jeans and new balance sneakers, because its the ONLY way to live. All hail Apple! :rolleyes: Not much difference than the Borg, no?

HabSonic

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2011
Canada
hoping next gen air uses cornings next gen gorilla glass...

If there's something I don't like about my MacBook Pro, it's definitely the glass on top of the glossy screen. These reflections are so annoying. I hope Apple will keep their MBA glass free.

ericDylan

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2012
We have a design, development, Video, audio, Flash, User Experience, marketing, finance... none of those jobs REQUIRE OS X, the users just prefer them. Any of the jobs could easily be done on a Windows PC just as well.

Well, if everyone prefers OS X, then that says something about the two OSs does it not?

Even people cannot come up with a tangible reason for their preference, they still have a preference.

I have used windows for my entire life and spent a lot of money on windows machines and none of them can compare to the MBA from two years ago. I got the 2010 because i got a good deal on it from Amazon.

I know this phrase is soooo over-used, but "it just works.":p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.