Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Daniel97

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 6, 2011
Currently have my USA Mac Mini - in the UK plugged into my TV set to 720P so i can read it!

Prefer 1080P but everything goes too small :mad:

Anyway - should i be set to 50PAL or 60NTSC? - Its defatted to NTSC but thought this was american?

Nov 28, 2010
located
If the TV is an European model, use PAL.
NTSC is the SD broadcasting standard for Japan and the USA and sadly creeped its way into HD, thus there are still differences between frame rates, though the resolution is finally the same with 1080p/i and 720p.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

1080 will look small!

Pal for the uk

Daniel97

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 6, 2011
will i notice any picture quality differences when i switch it over to PAL?

Daniel97

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 6, 2011
Thanks guys!

Fountain of knowledge this place!

While im here before i make a new thread.

Anybody know how to get 5.1 surround out of this thing?

I.e - rip a blu ray to my Mac but want to watch it with the 5.1 working. Is it as simple as plugging an optical cable in and then plugging it into my surround sound system and selecting aux or do i need to set it up?

Nov 28, 2010
located
Thanks guys!

Fountain of knowledge this place!
NTSC is short for Never The Same Colour in various circles.

Anybody know how to get 5.1 surround out of this thing?
Either via an MDP to HDMI adapter supporting sound and having a 2010 or 2011 Mac mini, or via a TOSLINK cable to your receiver.

Daniel97

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 6, 2011
i dont have either of those .. cant i use optical to optical? or doesnt the 2011 mini have an optical port?

Daniel97

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 6, 2011
Yes, you can use optical, thus I linked you to the TOSLINK cable, as it is an OPTICAL cable. Or you can take a look at that TV guide I linked to.

Sorry your link was optical to 3.5mm jack.

So i can plug optical either end. 1 end in the mini and 1 end in the mac.

Do i then have to change the macs settings to register the 5.1?

Nov 28, 2010
located
Sorry your link was optical to 3.5mm jack.

So i can plug optical either end. 1 end in the mini and 1 end in the mac.

Do i then have to change the macs settings to register the 5.1?

As the Mac mini only has 3.5 mm audio OUT and IN ports, you need to use such cable I linked to, as your receiver normally has a fully fledged optical IN.

When connected, check System Preferences > Sound > Output or OPTION/Alt click the sound/volume icon in the Menu Bar and tell us, what is listed as Output Device.

2012_01_04_pC1_OptionClickVOLUMEicon.png

Daniel97

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 6, 2011
As the Mac mini only has 3.5 mm audio OUT and IN ports, you need to use such cable I linked to, as your receiver normally has a fully fledged optical IN.

When connected, check System Preferences > Sound > Output or OPTION/Alt click the sound/volume icon in the Menu Bar and tell us, what is listed as Output Device.

Ahh okay - i thought the mini had an optical port! Silly me!

So would this play ALL audio via the surround sound or would it still play via HDMI aswell?

Nov 28, 2010
located
Ahh okay - i thought the mini had an optical port! Silly me!
The Mac mini and all other Macs have at least an optical audio out interface, due to space constraints, Apple uses the 3.5 mm interface.

So would this play ALL audio via the surround sound or would it still play via HDMI aswell?
That's why you can change the output, when two outputs are detected by the OS.

Daniel97

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 6, 2011
The Mac mini and all other Macs have at least an optical audio out interface, due to space constraints, Apple uses the 3.5 mm interface.

That's why you can change the output, when two outputs are detected by the OS.

okay ordered a cable ... but from what ive just been reading doesnt make sense.

I have HDTV HMDI > Mac Mini
HDMI > Blu Ray Surroud Sound
HDMI > Xbox 360
HMDI > Virgin TiVo

All 4 are then connected to my wireless superhub for a 50MB connection.

So as far as i understand it plug a toslink cable between the mini and the blu ray surround and then switch the blu ray surround to aux. I SHOULD then have 5.1 optical?

From what i have read elsewhere i need to connect the toslink into my mac and then the TV NOT the surround?

Confused.com!

Nov 28, 2010
located
okay ordered a cable ... but from what ive just been reading doesnt make sense.

I have HDTV HMDI > Mac Mini
HDMI > Blu Ray Surroud Sound
HDMI > Xbox 360
HMDI > Virgin TiVo
Just to be clear, as the > is confusing me.
You have one HDTV with four HDMI inputs (or more) and you have connected your appliances like this?
Mac mini > HDMI > HDTV
Blu Ray Surround Sound > HDMI > HDTV
Xbox 360 > HDMI > HDTV
TiVo > HDMI > HDTV​

All 4 are then connected to my wireless superhub for a 50MB connection.
For this problem, it shouldn't be relevant, but do you really have a 50 MB/s or do you have a 50 Mbit/s connection?

So as far as i understand it plug a toslink cable between the mini and the blu ray surround and then switch the blu ray surround to aux. I SHOULD then have 5.1 optical?
If the Blu Ray Surround Sound device can accept 5.1 audio via optical input, then yes.

From what i have read elsewhere i need to connect the toslink into my mac and then the TV NOT the surround?
It depends from where you want the sound from. As you want the 5.1 sound your Blu Ray Surround Sound device offers and not the stereo sound your HDTV probably has, you use the Blu Ray Surround Sound device.

I could happily watch VHS via my TV and have the sound come out via an external HiFi, thus "splitting" the signals.
What you want to do and can do, is just the same, just with other interfaces.

Confused.com!

jayminer

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2009
When running via HDMI, VGA or RGB. PAL or NTSC color coding doesn't matter, it's not used anyway. So basically the difference is in Hz, which means how many frames per second the display is showing.

For most things, 60Hz is preferred, since that's what most LCD screens are running internally, but when watching movies that are in 24fps, I run 50Hz and let XBMC (my video player of choice) resample the audio to 25fps, which makes for smoother playback, albeit a little faster (~4%) than the movie actually is.

Daniel97

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 6, 2011
Just to be clear, as the > is confusing me.
You have one HDTV with four HDMI inputs (or more) and you have connected your appliances like this?
Mac mini > HDMI > HDTV
Blu Ray Surround Sound > HDMI > HDTV
Xbox 360 > HDMI > HDTV
TiVo > HDMI > HDTV​

CORRECT

For this problem, it shouldn't be relevant, but do you really have a 50 MB/s or do you have a 50 Mbit/s connection?

REGULARLY BETWEEN 49 & 51. NEVER BELOW 47

If the Blu Ray Surround Sound device can accept 5.1 audio via optical input, then yes.

It depends from where you want the sound from. As you want the 5.1 sound your Blu Ray Surround Sound device offers and not the stereo sound your HDTV probably has, you use the Blu Ray Surround Sound device.

I could happily watch VHS via my TV and have the sound come out via an external HiFi, thus "splitting" the signals.
What you want to do and can do, is just the same, just with other interfaces.

I WANT THE SOUND FROM THE MINI TO COME VIA THE 5.1 BLU RAY SYSTEM. I WANT TO BURN ALL MY BLU RAYS TO MY MAC AND BE ABLE TO WATCH THEM BACK AS IF THE DISC WAS IN THE DRIVE AND THE AUDI/VIDEO QUALITY IS IDENTICAL.

When running via HDMI, VGA or RGB. PAL or NTSC color coding doesn't matter, it's not used anyway. So basically the difference is in Hz, which means how many frames per second the display is showing.

For most things, 60Hz is preferred, since that's what most LCD screens are running internally, but when watching movies that are in 24fps, I run 50Hz and let XBMC (my video player of choice) resample the audio to 25fps, which makes for smoother playback, albeit a little faster (~4%) than the movie actually is.

Ive changed it to 50PAL as its that or 60NTSC i cant have 60 PAL or 50 NTSC etc

Nov 28, 2010
located
There are only 50 PAL and 60 NTSC, as PAL has 25 frames or 50 interlaced (i) frames.
The USA sadly uses NTSC, which uses 30 frames per second (29.97 to be exact), which were 59.94 interlaced frames. You can't switch that around.

REGULARLY BETWEEN 49 & 51. NEVER BELOW 47
What Is the Difference Between Mbps and MBps?

I WANT THE SOUND FROM THE MINI TO COME VIA THE 5.1 BLU RAY SYSTEM. I WANT TO BURN ALL MY BLU RAYS TO MY MAC AND BE ABLE TO WATCH THEM BACK AS IF THE DISC WAS IN THE DRIVE AND THE AUDI/VIDEO QUALITY IS IDENTICAL.
Then just do as you want, connect the Mac mini via HDMI to the TV and use the TV to watch the video, and then use that TOSLINK cable to connect the Mac mini to the Blu Ray Sound device to listen to the audio. Just check System Preferences or the volume icon in the Menu Bar for the correct output, as I mentioned in an earlier post.

jayminer

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2009

Well, it's wrong that it says PAL or NTSC, since that is color coding, and is not used when running over HDMI. So, if you choose 60 NTSC, it just means 60Hz. So, if you want to play games it's the better choice, since it gives a better framerate, and many LCD:s actually render in 60Hz even if it gets a 50Hz signal, which makes 50Hz not as smooth.

My point being, PAL or NTSC doesn't make any difference in picture quality over a HDMI connection, and for most normal computer-things, 60Hz is better. However, 50Hz is usually better for watching video, especially if you resample it to 25FPS...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.