Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kyllle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 25, 2011
I got an iPad for Christmas and in the next few months I will be looking to make the final transition to apple: a Mac.

Originally I was planning on getting the MacBook air 13, but now it shames like it may be a bit redundant to have the air and an iPad. So would it be better to get an iMac to go with my iPad?

I currently have an hp laptop, but I rarely take it anywhere and the battery only lastes about an hour.

So does anyone have either of the above setups? An iPad with a MacBook air or iMac.

The MacBook air is plenty powerful for my needs, it has enough space and I don't need the optical drive, and I could buy an external moniter if 13" isn't enough for me. What is the best option?

eric/

Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States
I got an iPad for Christmas and in the next few months I will be looking to make the final transition to apple: a Mac.

Originally I was planning on getting the MacBook air 13, but now it shames like it may be a bit redundant to have the air and an iPad. So would it be better to get an iMac to go with my iPad?

I currently have an hp laptop, but I rarely take it anywhere and the battery only lastes about an hour.

So does anyone have either of the above setups? An iPad with a MacBook air or iMac.

The MacBook air is plenty powerful for my needs, it has enough space and I don't need the optical drive, and I could buy an external moniter if 13" isn't enough for me. What is the best option?

Since you rarely take your current laptop anywhere this becomes very easy. Get the iMac.

Kungshi

macrumors member
May 11, 2011
I actually have an iMac and a MBA 13". So the only thing here I'm lacking is the iPad. But would definitely say that I could not have even the 13" MBA as a primary computer. The iMac is a must. You may be saying now that you do not need things like storage space, but its possible that you will in the future and having an iMac will truly "future proof" you better than a MBA.

The MBA is an AMAZING machine! I absolutely love mine and even take it to school with me, leaving my iMac back home. But my iPhone synchs to my iMac and my large apps are only installed there as well. If you don't need the portability of the MBA (being that you have an iPad now you probably won't) then you will get much more for your money by purchasing the iMac for now.

Hope this helps.

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
I had an iPad 2 and a Sony laptop. Sold the Sony laptop to buy an iMac. Missed having a laptop and never used my iPad (seriously, the fun of it wares off after ~4 months), so I sold it and put the money toward an 11in MBA. Definitely a fantastic decision.

If you're definitely keeping the iPad and don't go mobile with a laptop very often, I'd suggest iMac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.