Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kalex

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Got a weird problem. I'm trying to add a network share icon to my sidebar favorites and it doesn't seem to add. I click on my Mac under devices. I can see the network volume on the right side, I try to drag it to Favorites menu and it shows up for fraction of a second then disappears.

Any ideas what i can do to make it stick?

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I'm also having this problem. Has anyone found a solution?

It's a bit frustrating because I can add folders within network volumes to my Favorites, but not the network volumes themselves. It almost feels like it's a bug, because sometimes the volume appears very briefly in the sidebar and immediately vanishes.

I have two network volumes that I hit very often and it's silly that I have to add an extra click to get to them! (Computer name -> volume)

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Got a weird problem. I'm trying to add a network share icon to my sidebar favorites and it doesn't seem to add. I click on my Mac under devices. I can see the network volume on the right side, I try to drag it to Favorites menu and it shows up for fraction of a second then disappears.

Any ideas what i can do to make it stick?
That's because, as a volume, it doesn't belong in Favorites. Volumes belong under Devices. Go to Finder > Preferences > Sidebar and make sure you have checked the selections you want.

alwaysireland

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2013
used to

You could previously add mounted volumes to your "favorites" - and in this upgrade you still can.

However, one day you can add volumes and they stick (two weeks at the most for me) and the next, nothing. It's very frustrating.

I've also experienced (with this upgrade only) my volumes showing as question marks in my dock when my machine awakes. It only happens to stores/volumes that have custom icons. (which have been in place for many, many years)

Either way, after doing the same job for 11 years a workflow develops, this game I play with my volume shortcuts is disruptive. I'm sure Apple could fix it. After all, previously it worked fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.