Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hurricanes305

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2012
what is the cheapest, yet good quality iphone bumper? i want to stay away from aluminum as i hear it effects reception. so i guess that leaves me with a tpu or silicone material? what do you guys suggest? thanks

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
$2-3 Apple bumper clones on ebay. Almost identical to the $30 ones sold at the Apple store.

JMies419

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2006
$2-3 Apple bumper clones on ebay. Almost identical to the $30 ones sold at the Apple store.

Link to the ones/seller who has them you are talking about? Any chance they can scratch the phone at all putting them on and taking them off?

Boston Rhett

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2012
DC
Off the top of my head...
- SGP Neo Hybrid or Linear EX
- UCO Skinny Bumper
- Bodyguardz Ciderz
- Griffin Reveal Frame
- Scosche bandEDGE or bandIT

These will run anywhere from $20-$35, I'd say.

I haven't had great experiences with the knock-off Apple bumpers. I tried out a few since they were so cheap, but I found that you really get what you pay for, which isn't much. Either there was excess material fringing on the sides, or the buttons weren't responsive, or the rubbery part stretched out. I don't know, maybe I've just had horrible luck with these knock-offs.

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
Link to the ones/seller who has them you are talking about? Any chance they can scratch the phone at all putting them on and taking them off?

Are you asking or telling?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/180748414583?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Comes in the same package as OEM Apple bumper does.

All bumpers/cases have the chance to scratch the clear coat on the antenna band. I recommend clear wrap before any case or bumper. Or if you are ultra cheap, blue masking tape works too.

iBrody

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2008

http://www.ebay.com/itm/180748414583?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

All bumpers/cases have the chance to scratch the clear coat on the antenna band. I recommend clear wrap before any case or bumper. Or if you are ultra cheap, blue masking tape works too.

I just got the SGP Linear EX today. Unfortunately the bumper does not click together when the LuckyLabs Spectra Wrap is on the phone. I have had to take the wrap off :(

pilot1226

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
USA
You get what you pay for.

I'm a big fan of OtterBox, and if you want just a "bumper", I'd suggest you check out the OtterBox Impact. I personally use the Commuter, and it's fantastic.

JMies419

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2006

I was asking, sorry. Clear wrap? Have not heard of that, is it some sort of precut stripping for the antenna? That black bumper in the link looks like a good deal, I assume you have used those before?

----------

You get what you pay for.

I'm a big fan of OtterBox, and if you want just a "bumper", I'd suggest you check out the OtterBox Impact. I personally use the Commuter, and it's fantastic.

Otter Box cases would be fantastic if they were not lint magnets. That is the only con to their cases IMO, other than that they offer great protection.

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
I was asking, sorry. Clear wrap? Have not heard of that, is it some sort of precut stripping for the antenna? That black bumper in the link looks like a good deal, I assume you have used those before?

----------

using it now.

Attachments

• IMG_5851.JPG
    IMG_5851.JPG
    382.9 KB · Views: 68

JMies419

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2006
I just got the SGP Linear EX today. Unfortunately the bumper does not click together when the LuckyLabs Spectra Wrap is on the phone. I have had to take the wrap off :(

I just looked those SGP Linear EX bumpers up and wow, they are expensive! Is the added price really worth it? Even the Apple bumper is a few dollars cheaper.

----------

using it now.

Have you tried that bumper before the wrap? I am wondering how well it will work on a naked iphone no screen protectors or anything. Not sure how thick that CF is.

iBrody

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2008
I just looked those SGP Linear EX bumpers up and wow, they are expensive! Is the added price really worth it? Even the Apple bumper is a few dollars cheaper.

There's a thread with pics showing the SGP Linear Ex:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1301259/

The SGP bumper is made from hard plastic and it blends in with the phone so looks and feel a part of it . Very comfy to hold (although a bit slippery but not too bad). My white Apple bumper is only 3 months old and has discoloured and become loose by the headphone jack input.

On the Linear Ex, I love the fact that the buttons are made of the same material as the bumper and are the same colour (they are not the normal cheap SGP buttons).

The only gripe I have with this bumper is the Spectra Wrap issue, I really thought the bumper would fit with the Spectra Wrap on the phone, but sadly it doesn't.

I will just have to remove the bumper regularly and make sure there is no dirt nesting between.

I would say that £23 is quite expensive (I bought from an authorised reseller on eBay, but it's cheaper than the Apple bumper here in the UK) and you do get an SGP front and back film thrown in.

I prefer it to the Apple bumper and those 'barely there' type cases.

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
I am surprised it won't fit with the wrap on. Are the tolerances that tight?

JMies419

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2006
There's a thread with pics showing the SGP Linear Ex:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1301259/

The SGP bumper is made from hard plastic and it blends in with the phone so looks and feel a part of it . Very comfy to hold (although a bit slippery but not too bad). My white Apple bumper is only 3 months old and has discoloured and become loose by the headphone jack input.

On the Linear Ex, I love the fact that the buttons are made of the same material as the bumper and are the same colour (they are not the normal cheap SGP buttons).

The only gripe I have with this bumper is the Spectra Wrap issue, I really thought the bumper would fit with the Spectra Wrap on the phone, but sadly it doesn't.

I will just have to remove the bumper regularly and make sure there is no dirt nesting between.

I would say that £23 is quite expensive (I bought from an authorised reseller on eBay, but it's cheaper than the Apple bumper here in the UK) and you do get an SGP front and back film thrown in.

I prefer it to the Apple bumper and those 'barely there' type cases.

I am fairly new to the iPhone and the screen protector brands but if I recall correctly arent the SGP protectors in line with the quality of the power support ones? If so then them including them with the bumper may be worth the $31 USD IMO. I was under the impression that you only received the bumper at that price, the bumper + front and back screen protection (IF they are high quality and similar to the power support crystal films) then this may be looking into.

iBrody

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2008
I tried removing just the bottom strip of Spectra Wrap at first to see if the Linear Ex would fit, then the right side etc... and it would only click into place with all of the wrap removed.

I use PS Crystal front and back films and the bumper fits fine without bubbling so it's just extra side protection that this bumper doesn't seem compatible with.

And yeah SGP include their Stenheil Ultra Series Crystal front and back protectors with the bumper so it's actually pretty good value.

Phone Junky

macrumors 68020
Oct 29, 2011
Midwest
I tried removing just the bottom strip of Spectra Wrap at first to see if the Linear Ex would fit, then the right side etc... and it would only click into place with all of the wrap removed.

I have a Linear EX with the Spectra Wrap on my 4s. It was a little tight to get it snapped together, but it went.

iBrody

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2008
I have a Linear EX with the Spectra Wrap on my 4s. It was a little tight to get it snapped together, but it went.

I tried for a good half hour trying to click the blighter together but it wasn't having any of it.

I have some more Spectra Wraps on order so will give it another go.

Out of curiosity, is your Linear Ex the all white one?

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
The bumpers from http://www.sw-box.com are great. they cost $2 to $3 bucks and the quality is great. I've ordered from them a few times. I usually place a bulk order for me and a few friends.... The only downside is that it takes about 2 weeks to get here but that shouldnt be a big deal

pilot1226

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
USA
Otter Box cases would be fantastic if they were not lint magnets. That is the only con to their cases IMO, other than that they offer great protection.

This hasn't been my experience yet. I usually keep my phone in my jeans pocket by itself, and while I see occasional fuzz, it's easily removed.

iBrody

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2008

Put some new Lucky Labs Spectra Wraps on the sides and the bumper snaps into place ok this time round.

Very happy with this bumper, beats Apple bumper hands-down

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.