Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jackoatmon

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 15, 2011
OK, so has no one cracked it yet? The internet has nothing. This is model specific so we're only talking about this one model. In the 2011 iMac running Lion, the chime is apparently part of the "BIOS" not the OSX. So many common workarounds don't work.

Things that DO NOT WORK:

Startupsound.preffane
Muting the sound before shutdown
Holding mute on startup
The appleScript volume hack
Setting the volume to off or low before shutdown
Setting the volume to off or low in system preferences

So, has anyone managed to stop their 2011 iMac (running Lion) from making a startup sound?

PS. This discussion applies ONLY TO THE 2011 iMac series, only when running Lion, so no speculative ideas necessary, and please no debates about how we should like the sound or never restart or whatever.

Last edited:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Have you tried simply turning the volume all the way down? Also, what do you have selected in System Preferences > Sound > Output?

bill-p

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2011
Turn down the volume of the iMac before you shut it down... and then back on again after it's on the next time.

I swear... you won't ever hear the chime again. Ever.

jackoatmon

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 15, 2011
That's right in the OP:

SETTING THE VOLUME TO 0 DOES NOTHING. THAT ONLY WORKS ON OTHER MODELS

I'm assuming BillP does not own this computer and is making guesses. Please don't waste my time with guesses.

We're talking about the 2011 iMac (27" in this case) ONLY. no other apple computers. Just that one. Only that one. Not another one. No. Stop typing. Only the 2011 iMac. Bup-bup-bup! Stop typing.

-Ken-

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2011
Oregon, USA
Both my wife and I own an iMac purchased in August of last year, both of these computers have the startup chime muted. One is running 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard) and the other is running Lion (10.7.2)

jackoatmon

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 15, 2011
Both my wife and I own an iMac purchased in August of last year, both of these computers have the startup chime muted. One is running 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard) and the other is running Lion (10.7.2)

OK great. How did you mute it ont he one running Lion?

Glen Quagmire

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2006
UK
That's right in the OP:

SETTING THE VOLUME TO 0 DOES NOTHING. THAT ONLY WORKS ON OTHER MODELS

I'm assuming BillP does not own this computer and is making guesses. Please don't waste my time with guesses.

We're talking about the 2011 iMac (27" in this case) ONLY. no other apple computers. Just that one. Only that one. Not another one. No. Stop typing. Only the 2011 iMac. Bup-bup-bup! Stop typing.

For someone who is seeking help from others, your attitude really needs some work. Do you have any manners?

People are trying to help you, and all you can do is insult them.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Please don't waste my time with guesses.
If you're not going to have a decent attitude toward those who are at least responding and trying to help, then don't waste our time! You still haven't answered the question I asked, trying to help you. Don't bother answering now, as I don't really care if you find an answer or not. Since you have such a chip on your shoulder, you're on your own. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

iHutch105

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2011
I'm sure muting mine before shutting down does the trick.

+1 for the attitude. Don't forget that people don't have to spend their spare time suggesting things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.