Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zakatov

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 8, 2005
South Florida
If it was introduced within the next year, as Steve has hinted at, would you buy or consider buying a 3+Ghz G5?

In my opinion, if necessary, I would buy something like this as it is clear that Apple would support the hardware and software (thru fat binaries) for PPCs for another 2-4 years.

bosrs1

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2005
zakatov said:
If it was introduced within the next year, as Steve has hinted at, would you buy or consider buying a 3+Ghz G5?

In my opinion, if necessary, I would buy something like this as it is clear that Apple would support the hardware and software (thru fat binaries) for PPCs for another 2-4 years.
I wouldn't personally. I'm quite happy with my 2.7 Dually. Plus with 4 Ghz+ Intel Macs coming I've no reason to get a G5 again.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
It would be nothing more than a speed bump.

The loss of the 970MP, the P5UL, and a PCI-Express chipset make the current PowerMac G5 basically the same machine as the Rev A MDD.

Basically, it's a legacy machine.

All the new features are coming in the next machine, of course this time we know there is a new machine coming. Something we didn't know about the Rev. A MDD machine at the time -- especially when they released the Rev. B (and then re-released the A when the PMG5 came out)

Cooknn

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Myers, FL
Damn Straight

I was going to start this very topic - but did my diligence and searched first :p Indeed I would buy a (Dual) 3Ghz Power Mac. Not that there is anything magical about 3Ghz. I've been loving how my Dual 2Ghz Power Mac has kept it's value for almost 2 years. If by the end of the year Apple released a Dual 3Ghz Power Mac I'd be all over it :D

MacTruck

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
One Endless Loop
Umm no. Not that it won't be fast it will just run outdated software. I can assure you developers won't keep updating software for PPC after today. What we have is all we will ever have. The new cool stuff will be for the Intel Mac. Thats if developers don't just throw their arms up in disgust and leave the platform altogether.

yoda13

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
Texas
I don't think they'll leave the platform, but I agree that the days of development for PPC are numbered, and those numbers likely aren't very high :rolleyes:

Cooknn

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Myers, FL
MacTruck said:
Umm no. Not that it won't be fast it will just run outdated software.
Universal Binaries will hardly be outdated any time soon. If I bought a Dual 3Ghz box in 2005, it would still be running the latest versions of everything into 2007 and probably through '08 - not that I've ever kept a box for three years :eek:

MacSA

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2003
UK
MacTruck said:
Umm no. Not that it won't be fast it will just run outdated software. I can assure you developers won't keep updating software for PPC after today. What we have is all we will ever have. The new cool stuff will be for the Intel Mac. Thats if developers don't just throw their arms up in disgust and leave the platform altogether.

Do you ever get tired of being wrong or spreading misleading information?

G-Funk

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2005
Miami , FL
My Dual 2.7Ghz G5 is GREAT. i won't trade it for anything . once they new intel based macs roll next year. my choice would be a powerbook. ( i was waiting for a G5 powerbook) but since it's not coming . a 64bit based intel (centrino or Pentium M) chip powerbook will do fine for me.. low power consumption which means longer battery life .. .

I'm satisfied with my G5 PM . a new powerbook would be a great update . but on an intel 64Bit not 32Bit based chip

Tilmitt

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2005
I plan on buying the last PM they release, even if it stays at 2.7Ghz. But hopefully we'll reach 3.0Ghz or even more.

G-Funk

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2005
Miami , FL
Tilmitt said:
I plan on buying the last PM they release, even if it stays at 2.7Ghz. But hopefully we'll reach 3.0Ghz or even more.

The dual 2.7 G5 is great.. You'll need to get one :-D

Tilmitt

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2005
G-Funk said:
The dual 2.7 G5 is great.. You'll need to get one :-D
Hopefully i will be joining you once i can afford it. Have to get a latop for university first though!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.