PDA

View Full Version : Stolen iPod Touch and "Find my iPod"

RolandNights
Jan 13, 2012, 02:34 AM
Hey guys,

Someone broke into my car while I was out today and stole my iPod Touch (4G). I have the iPod synced with iCloud with "Find My iPod" enabled, but it's showing up as unavailable on iCloud.com. I'm assuming that's because the device is turned off because my iPad is also turned off and isn't showing up on iCloud.com, either. Is there ANY way to turn it on remotely so I can possibly locate it?

Also for clarification, does the iPod need to be connected to WiFi in order for it to be located?? I had WiFi turned off when I last left it and there's a passcode on the iPod, so I'm pretty sure the thief won't be connecting online anytime soon.

mrsir2009
Jan 13, 2012, 03:01 AM
Yes, it has to be on. No, you can't remotely turn it on, thats a hardware thing. Yes, it must be on WiFi to be located.

There's no point in stealing an iPhone if your never going to use it, so eventually it WILL be turned on, and the odds are high that the WiFi will also be turned on at some stage (its a big part of the iPod Touch and powers many of it's features). Even if they sell it, the person they buy it off will definitely turn it on and connect it to the net. So its pretty much just a matter of time I reckon.

rowley
Jan 13, 2012, 03:18 AM
Sorry to put a downer on this but they could of course completely reset it without connecting it to wifi, thus clearing out all your icloud settings and of course find my ipod.
I have experience of this.

mrsir2009
Jan 13, 2012, 03:26 AM
Sorry to put a downer on this but they could of course completely reset it without connecting it to wifi, thus clearing out all your icloud settings and of course find my ipod.
I have experience of this.

True. This find my iDevice thing is best suited to iPhones that will have a 3G connection nationwide that can be used to track the device.

RolandNights
Jan 13, 2012, 10:49 AM
Ahhh, well, thanks for the info guys. Hopefully the guy does turn it on and we can get it via Find My iPod. And yeah, it seems like the feature is best for anything with 3G as I'm sure the WiFi location won't be as accurate on its own.

Spock
Jan 13, 2012, 02:36 PM
Sorry to hear about the theft. Hopefully you had the passcode set to delete all data after to many attempts, that way they at least cant get any of your personal information.

mrsir2009
Jan 13, 2012, 03:00 PM
Sorry to hear about the theft. Hopefully you had the passcode set to delete all data after to many attempts, that way they at least cant get any of your personal information.

They'll probably just connect it to iTunes and set it up as a new iPod.