PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about buying a Powerbook! Just a few questions though...

wako
Jun 6, 2005, 10:49 PM
Well as of right now Im a Window'holic. I've been using Windows all my life and think its time for a change. Well not really, Im just switching over so when I goto college I wont be distracted with games... atleast any good ones :p

1. What is the battery life between the 12 and the 15?

2. What the hell is the point of forking over 300 bucks for a "SuperDrive?" Cant I just go on Newegg.com and buy any random DVD writer (if I even needed one) and swap out the CD drive for much less?

3. On a PC 512mb is NOT enough memory, is 512 enough for a Mac? I usually have 3 programs opened: AIM, IE (2 websites usually), and some word processor

4. Are viruses something I would actually have to worry about?!

mad jew
Jun 6, 2005, 11:04 PM
1. About an hour I think but it depends on settings and uses etc.

2. Most DVD burning drives will not fit into the Mac laptops. There are some out there but it's far easier and cheaper just to get it the Apple way.

3. Get as much RAM as possible. 512MB is not enough on OSX IMO and I reckon it's okay on XP so you'll probably want quite a lot - over 1GB would be great.

4. No viruses for OSX yet...

Enjoy the switch, you'll love it. And best of luck with college too. :)

wako
Jun 6, 2005, 11:18 PM
1. About an hour I think but it depends on settings and uses etc.

2. Most DVD burning drives will not fit into the Mac laptops. There are some out there but it's far easier and cheaper just to get it the Apple way.

3. Get as much RAM as possible. 512MB is not enough on OSX IMO and I reckon it's okay on XP so you'll probably want quite a lot - over 1GB would be great.

4. No viruses for OSX yet...

Enjoy the switch, you'll love it. And best of luck with college too. :)

AN HOUR?! WTH! I THOUGHT MY CURRENT LAPTOP OF 2.5 HOURS WAS BAD!!!!

As for RAM though should I get it through Apple as well? I think that I can actually get through other vendors though right?

gost8go
Jun 6, 2005, 11:27 PM

As for RAM though should I get it through Apple as well? I think that I can actually get through other vendors though right?

an hour difference, Im guessing 3 hrs vs. 4 hrs.

Tilmitt
Jun 7, 2005, 03:36 AM

Other vendors are way cheaper. I'd recommend crucial (http://crucial.com). It's very easy to use to, all step by step and very cheap.

G-Funk
Jun 7, 2005, 03:40 AM
an hour difference, Im guessing 3 hrs vs. 4 hrs.

My sisters PB 12" runs 5 hours

mad jew
Jun 7, 2005, 03:41 AM

Yeah sorry. I thought you were asking about the difference between the 12 inch and 15 inch PowerBook battery lives. In most circumstances it's about 4.5-5.0 for the 12 inch and 3.5-4.0 for the 15 inch machine. Or, about what gost8go said. :D

_pb_boi
Jun 7, 2005, 04:31 AM
Yeah sorry. I thought you were asking about the difference between the 12 inch and 15 inch PowerBook battery lives. In most circumstances it's about 4.5-5.0 for the 12 inch and 3.5-4.0 for the 15 inch machine. Or, about what gost8go said. :D

He was asking about the difference lol. Don't be so quick to back down - stick to your guns mad jew! ;)

andy.

mad jew
Jun 7, 2005, 07:33 AM
He was asking about the difference lol. Don't be so quick to back down - stick to your guns mad jew! ;)

andy.

Yeah, thanks _pb_boi, I know. I just figured he'd probably know what he'd asked better than me but apparently not. :rolleyes: