PDA

View Full Version : Racism in Doodle buddy for Ipad!

Juicyappledude
Jan 13, 2012, 04:07 PM
Alright, this might sound crazy but I found something quite racist in Doodle buddy. As you're aware you have the ability to use stamps of everything from animals to even food. Then when you place them they make a sound such as a dog stamp might bark etc. Well it just so happens if you place a stamp of the fried chicken leg the sound is of a black guy going mmm or something. Anyways anybody else discover this.

Christopher387A
Jan 13, 2012, 04:10 PM
Give me a break...

Ivan P
Jan 13, 2012, 04:11 PM
You're right, if you use a rainbow stamp you hear either a gay saying "you go girl!", or the sound of every single Republican recoiling in horror.

:rolleyes:

appleguy123
Jan 13, 2012, 04:12 PM
Saying that black people like fried chicken isn't racism anyway. It's a stereotype.

If black people are more likely to eat fried chicken, it doesn't provide any commentary on which race is superior.

----------

You're right, if you use a rainbow stamp you hear either a gay saying "you go girl!", or the sound of every single Republican recoiling in horror.

For real?

Juicyappledude
Jan 13, 2012, 04:19 PM
It could be considered offensive and they should probably change it. Maybe to a chicken clucking or something. Spread the word about this get doodle buddy banned hahahaha.

Digital Skunk
Jan 13, 2012, 04:24 PM
Saying that black people like fried chicken isn't racism anyway. It's a stereotype.

Racial stereotyping is a form of racism.

But I digress . . . I don't think the app is racist since it's not wrong to say that black people like fried chicken. Now, if it showed a figure in black face eating a piece of fried chicken and a watermelon then it'd be VERY racist.

That 'hmm' could have been Homer Simpson who, as we all know, LOVES fried chicken.

appleguy123
Jan 13, 2012, 04:27 PM
Racial stereotyping is a form of racism.

Racism
-noun
a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.

Saying that black people like water melon, Asains are smarter, et cetera is not racist. I would argue that the 'Mexicans are lazy'(this is odd, because another stereotype says they steal jobs) is racist.

Digital Skunk
Jan 13, 2012, 04:36 PM
Racism
-noun
a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.

Saying that black people like water melon, Asains are smarter, et cetera is not racist. I would argue that the 'Mexicans are lazy'(this is odd, because another stereotype says they steal jobs) is racist.

Well:

-noun
Racism is the belief that inherent different traits in human racial groups justify discrimination. In the modern English language, the term "racism" is used predominantly as a pejorative epithet. It is applied especially to the practice or advocacy of racial discrimination of a pernicious nature (i.e. which harms particular groups of people), and which is often justified by recourse to racial stereotyping or pseudo-science.

So again, using a stereotype is a form of Racism, there doesn't have to be any superiority complex involved with it. Racism is far more complicated than just a superiority complex.

NameUndecided
Jan 14, 2012, 01:08 AM
I totally just downloaded an app simply to hear if an "mmm" sound effect sounded particularly "black," only to find that I don't presently have enough Doodle Bucks to purchase a fried chicken stamp so that I may hear this sound effect.

This totally would have been a more amusing situation if I were high right now.

edit: Oh. I realized that it gives you enough Doodle Bucks to start with to purchase at least one pack. I just heard the fried chicken "yum." This all… probably wasn't the best use of my time.

hollerz
Jan 14, 2012, 05:02 AM
I totally just downloaded an app simply to hear if an "mmm" sound effect sounded particularly "black,"

Haha I thought this, how do you know it's a black guy?

Seaquel
Jan 14, 2012, 07:32 AM

I think it's kind of funny actually. But these days everyone's hyper sensitive.

Dr McKay
Jan 14, 2012, 08:15 AM
Yes, this is a travesty. Black People are not allowed to like Chicken, and any potential voice actors or actors will be turned away from anything that is related to Chicken incase someone is offended.

What would cause a bigger scene, the guy who recorded the "mmm" sound got the job because he was good enough and just happened to be black, or they turn him away just because he's black?

danahn17
Jan 14, 2012, 02:46 PM
It could be considered offensive and they should probably change it. Maybe to a chicken clucking or something. Spread the word about this get doodle buddy banned hahahaha.

I'm not a vegetarian but I think if I were, I might be offended at the sound of a chicken clucking on a fried chicken stamp. I mean.. how dare you not respect the beliefs and wants of vegetarians and vegans and living chickens worldwide!? The horror! :rolleyes:

What a non-issue. Sadly, I'm not surprised at this... and I wouldn't be any more surprised if it blew up in the media (like Siri and "abortion clinic"). :(