Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MarximusMG

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 21, 2009
Denver
Just a total newbie question here, but I'm trying to figure out how to create a simple gradient background in AE. I'm messing around with some kinetic typography, and am wanting to make a background that's not simply solid.

How would I go about doing this? Thanks in advance.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Create a SOLID and apply a RAMP effect.
2012_01_14_pA1_AE_Ramp.png

or: "after effects gradient background"

MarximusMG

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 21, 2009
Denver
Thank you so much. I just figured that out right after I asked it. :roll eyes: I've precomposed several groups of text separately, and I guess now what I'm trying to figure out is how to make the background of each of these transparent so that the solid that I just created is visible? As is glaringly evident, I really have little experience in AE, so I appreciate the help!

Nov 28, 2010
located
Thank you so much. I just figured that out right after I asked it. :roll eyes: I've precomposed several groups of text separately, and I guess now what I'm trying to figure out is how to make the background of each of these transparent so that the solid that I just created is visible? As is glaringly evident, I really have little experience in AE, so I appreciate the help!

When I put the SOLID with the RAMP below a Pre-Composite (all text objects), the text is visible, as is the solid.
Does your Pre-Composite include any other layers?

images are clickable
2012_01_14_pA3_AE_Ramp_precomp.png

2012_01_14_pA4_AE_Ramp_COMP.png

12dylan34

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2009
Also, I picked this up a while ago and found it very useful, but to make a gradient with more than two colors, apply a ramp, leave it black to white, then colorama on top of that, which will map the tones of grey to different colors that you select.

MarximusMG

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 21, 2009
Denver
Thank you, that worked perfectly for what I was needing to do. I really appreciate the help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.