Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mingus1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2012
I just bought a Macbook Air 11" yesterday, and fully charged it the first time it was plugged in. After it was charged, I unplugged it to let it drain. But my wife for some reason plugged it in again when it still had a 17% charge remaining, and then when I told her it was supposed to be empty, she unplugged it again. Have I damaged my battery?

Please answer quickly and save a relationship! :p

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
No you haven't damaged your battery. The batteries are designed to be unplugged, discharged, recharged, etc, a lot (hence Apple's claim they can now last 'over 1000 cycles'). Many people recommend to fully discharge and then recharge the battery approximately once a month just to keep everything flowing in the battery cells, but I've never heard of any ill effects from not fully discharging a brand new computer.

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
...No, maybe in the late 90s and early 2000s that would've been the case but the battery tech in Apple laptops don't really need that recalibration stuff anymore.

Relationship saved, if you shouted, you should apologise.

Also, all of this info was far more readily available than this post on Apples website.

Mingus1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2012
Thank you so much for the quick replies, very well timed. :) It's actually my wife's Air and she's really mad.

I looked everywhere and couldn't find it.

Mingus1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2012
I am search- and forum-challenged. :p What can I say? I'm just a writer. But thank you greatly for your help!

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
yeah, MBA batteries come calibrated....no need to calibrate anymore, they are also chip controlled so use it however you like, you won't burn it by leaving it plugged in and you never need to drain it (actually you will decrease its life by draining it, since its life is based on finished cycles! Mine is about 6 months old and I've got 40 cycles).

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
yeah, MBA batteries come calibrated....no need to calibrate anymore, they are also chip controlled so use it however you like, you won't burn it by leaving it plugged in and you never need to drain it (actually you will decrease its life by draining it, since its life is based on finished cycles! Mine is about 6 months old and I've got 40 cycles).
You do need to exercise the battery periodically, however. It's not good to leave it plugged in all the time. And it's fine to use it until it's fully drained, when AC power isn't available. There's just no need to do so just for the sake of doing it. And there's no such thing as "finished cycles". A cycle is a cycle.

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
You do need to exercise the battery periodically, however. It's not good to leave it plugged in all the time. And it's fine to use it until it's fully drained, when AC power isn't available. There's just no need to do so just for the sake of doing it. And there's no such thing as "finished cycles". A cycle is a cycle.

A cycle means going from 100% to 0%....that can happen incrementally. My MBA has drained from 100% to 0% 40 times. That is a complete cycle...regardless of the wording...I didn't realize I had to use official terminology. And no you do NOT have to "exercise" your battery....nor is it damaging to stay plugged in most of the time.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
A cycle means going from 100% to 0%....that can happen incrementally. My MBA has drained from 100% to 0% 40 times. That is a complete cycle...regardless of the wording...I didn't realize I had to use official terminology.
Read the WHAT IS A CYCLE? section of the Battery FAQ.
And no you do NOT have to "exercise" your battery....nor is it damaging to stay plugged in most of the time.
Read the AC POWER section of the Battery FAQ.

You should read the Battery FAQ that simsaladimbamba posted, so you can learn the facts and not mislead people by posting inaccurate information.

Xikum

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2011
Ever since I joined this forum I have learned that Apple users are the biggest hypochondriacs in the world.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Ever since I joined this forum I have learned that Apple users are the biggest hypochondriacs in the world.
For some, that may be true, but that's very different from learning how to properly use and care for a computer or battery, to maximize it's useful life.

Xikum

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2011
For some, that may be true, but that's very different from learning how to properly use and care for a computer or battery, to maximize it's useful life.

There is a lot of information on the internet (including a page on Apples own website) about battery care. People just seem to cry wolf at the first thing on these forums.

glen e

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale

amen....

"my battery is only 99%"
"my keyboard marks the screen when I sqeeze the crap outta it in my bookbag"

go outside once in a while....:D:D:D

Xikum

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2011
amen....

"my battery is only 99%"
"my keyboard marks the screen when I sqeeze the crap outta it in my bookbag"

go outside once in a while....:D:D:D

Exactly. I remember once reading a thread about a guy who's child touched the trackpad, and their hand had saliva on it, which got into the trackpad; he thought he was going to have to take it to the Apple store and get a whole new trackpad :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.