PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth replacing the battery?

Kyozo
Jan 14, 2012, 01:32 PM
I was wondering if it's worth upgrading the battery on my white unibody macbook?... I looked at the prices and it seems kinda expensive. So i'm undecided.

Also could someone post how much battery life there's supposed to be unused?

Macbook specs below!

GGJstudios
Jan 14, 2012, 01:34 PM
This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:
Apple Notebook Battery FAQ (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=9875442&postcount=23)

vistadude
Jan 15, 2012, 11:28 AM
The battery life is supposed to be 6 hours on the older versions of snow leopard. I'm getting about 4 hours on the same notebook except with 8 GB. My battery is 2 years old, has about 60 charge cycles, and has ~85% charge capacity. If you're getting around 4 hours, I'd say that's normal. If its less than 3 hours, a new battery should help a lot.

charlieroberts
Jan 15, 2012, 11:37 AM
The battery on my 17 mbp has started to swell (this is the second time)... Its a 2007 2.4 SR model... Im debating whether to buy a battery... they are so expensive.

malman89
Jan 15, 2012, 11:59 AM
The battery on my 17 mbp has started to swell (this is the second time)... Its a 2007 2.4 SR model... Im debating whether to buy a battery... they are so expensive.

I would look into getting a replacement. Apple used to replace these for free/no questions asked. Their policy may have changed (worth looking at their support pages) and every store experience is different, but it's worth a shot. I got a free replacement battery about a year or so ago on my late 2006 model outside of warranty.

GGJstudios
Jan 15, 2012, 12:03 PM
The battery on my 17 mbp has started to swell
Replace it now, before it damages your Mac, which would be a lot more expensive than replacing the battery.

minifridge1138
Jan 15, 2012, 01:15 PM

That's really bad.

Just in case your fuzzy on the whole good/bad thing, bad means it could explode, catch fire, or slowly crush your logic board as it swells.

Have a nice day.

charlieroberts
Jan 15, 2012, 11:38 PM
That's really bad.

Just in case your fuzzy on the whole good/bad thing, bad means it could explode, catch fire, or slowly crush your logic board as it swells.

Have a nice day.

well i called apple the first time, when i still had applecare and told them i was afraid it could blow up. And because they had refused to replace it in the applestore, I said i feared for my safety.
The manager I spoke to on the phone said that it posed absolutely no safety risk, and that he still wouldnt replace it... crushing the logicboard is still a possibility.

Lol at the have a nice day! thanks i guess :D

Mikeske
Jan 16, 2012, 02:03 AM
You really do not have to pay Apple's price if you do not mind a generic battery. check this link out at Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/A1280-Battery-Version-Macbook-Aluminum/dp/B001QIRYR2/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1326700715&sr=8-13

GGJstudios
Jan 16, 2012, 02:04 AM
You really do not have to pay Apple's price if you do not mind a generic battery.
I would never trust or recommend a battery that didn't come from Apple. Too many have reported problems with knockoff batteries.

minifridge1138
Jan 16, 2012, 10:57 AM
It sounds like you had a very bad experience at an apple store.
They should have replaced that. If not for free, at least for a discounted price.

You could try another apple store and tell them what happened. Or you could try calling Apple's customer relations and explain what the store told you.

Buckles
Jan 16, 2012, 01:39 PM
I replaced mine. No problems.

Ordered a MacBook Screwdriver Set and a Battery from eBay.

Was easier than I thought. But I don't have an Apple Store need me so it made economic sense.