PDA

View Full Version : Proof of Firewire CRUSHES USB 2.0

akos33
Oct 18, 2002, 11:28 AM
Just thought about the Mbits myth, well here is hard evidence that 400Mbits is actually 10MBytes faster on average than the 480 Mbits USB2.0, imagine that. The only myth left to kill is the MHZ myth. :)

Here is the link.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/storage/usb20-fw/

Taft
Oct 18, 2002, 12:20 PM
While this is encouraging for Firewire, I think we need to take this with a grain of salt. As the author says in his conclusion, the tests were really just testing *devices* not the protocols themselves. It could just be a poor implementation of the device. Or even a driver.

As the author notes, we'll have to wait and see how further USB 2.0 benchmarks go in the future before making any blanket statements about its performance as an interface.

Taft

akos33
Oct 18, 2002, 12:41 PM
Agree, but I don't think 10MBytes/s is an easy thing to catch up with just by changing the drivers. They have to make some hardware changes before it can catch up. (Just what I think)

Just like the VIA KT chipsets are subpar compared with the rest of the computing world when it comes to HDD performance, drivers could remedy it somewhat but not catch up.