Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davechong

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
Hi Guys,

I'm trying to install Windows 7 Professional (32-bit) on my MacBook Air (running on latest version of Lion) via USB flash drive, all using Boot Camp Assistant.

I've managed to get Windows installer to run, but encountered the following error message after selecting the BOOTCAMP partition to install onto:

"Setup was unable to create a new system partition or locate an existing system partition."

I've tried some of the solutions that others have recommended in other threads, but none seem to work:
  1. Format the BOOTCAMP partition from within the Windows installer.
  2. Unplug all USB devices (except the USB flash drive that the Windows installer is on).
  3. Restart my MBA and go through the Windows installation process all over again.

My MBA currently have the following partitions (after creating one for Windows via Boot Camp Assistant):
  1. Disk 0 Partition 1
  2. Disk 0 Partition 2
  3. Disk 0 Partition 3
  4. Disk 0 Partition 4: This is the BOOTCAMP partition.

Hope someone can help me with this. I've spent many hours trying to figure this out, with no luck. :(

Last edited:

johnhurley

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2011
Hi Guys,

I'm trying to install Windows 7 Professional (32-bit) on my MacBook Air (running on latest version of Lion) via USB flash drive, all using Boot Camp Assistant.

Have you tried win 7 64 bit? Maybe something funky about a win 7 32 bit install?

mde1

macrumors newbie
Feb 29, 2012
Same here- switching usb drive helped

I had the same problem-- it was driving me nuts. I ended up testing a different USB flash drive, and it worked without a hitch. The one that didn't work was a Lexar 8gb swivel drive (even though an identical one has worked before)-- and the new one was a 4gb Verbatim-- it worked perfectly.

Also-- you don't have to make the USB manually anymore. Microsoft has a free Win 7 USB maker tool for download. :eek:

sbeckstead

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2012
Solution

What worked for me was to put the windows install image on the desktop and check all three boxes (build usb, download support, install) and allow it to run through to completion it seems that there are files in the support package that overwrite the files in the installer and allow a different bootmgr to be installed that handles the weird bootcamp restrictions/problems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.