Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

piatti

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2010
USA
A website that look like this where there is table of contents on the left and the contents on the middle without the need to press a button to go to the next section in the table of contents, but rather, simply scroll down? http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/xpath.html#xpath-tutorial

Currently I don't know anything about making a website. Is there a way to make this kind of website without substantial amount of money going into it?

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
The best way to learn HTML/CSS/DOM is to read this website and follow the tutorials :

W3 schools

This will teach you proper techniques that are standards compliant rather than many tutorials which do not adhere to the W3 standards and will require adjustments for many varying browsers.

fireshot91

macrumors 601
Jul 31, 2008
Northern VA
A fixed column, with anchor links to different portions of the page?

I'm pretty sure Dreamweaver has a template for this already built in. That is, if you have CS

piatti

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2010
USA
A fixed column, with anchor links to different portions of the page?

I'm pretty sure Dreamweaver has a template for this already built in. That is, if you have CS

Is Dreamweaver the best way to make a website? I want to make a pleasing attractive website that is very navigable.

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
Is Dreamweaver the best way to make a website? I want to make a pleasing attractive website that is very navigable.

As a user of dream weaver myself, I would have to say. Having the program isn't going to teach you how to build the site. You still will need to know CSS, HTML. There may be templates but they are very basic. Dream Weaver is the front end software, you really need to learn what's going on in the background.

piatti

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2010
USA
As a user of dream weaver myself, I would have to say. Having the program isn't going to teach you how to build the site. You still will need to know CSS, HTML. There may be templates but they are very basic. Dream Weaver is the front end software, you really need to learn what's going on in the background.

What is the best way to learn CSS and HTML? W3 Schools?

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
What is the best way to learn CSS and HTML? W3 Schools?

I'd like to know that myself, I don't know a lot of it but I get assistance from my friend who help me with the hard parts of my website. He learned by google and looking at sites source code that he liked. You could take classes in school as well.

Also if you want a decent site you might want to learn photo shop for your graphics, there is a lot to that as well.

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
Just to follow up so you understand.

you can build a website using notepad, a very good website. I know people who build using notepad++.

Dream Weaver is just a fancy front end to your websites. It organized them, uploads them to your server(host), error checking, compatibility checking and stuff like that. You can probably get a free trial from Adobe to check it out.

Heebeejeebies

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2011
New Jersey
Just to follow up so you understand.

you can build a website using notepad, a very good website. I know people who build using notepad++.

Dream Weaver is just a fancy front end to your websites. It organized them, uploads them to your server(host), error checking, compatibility checking and stuff like that. You can probably get a free trial from Adobe to check it out.

I built my first website using notepad. It was crappy, but it was fun. I especially enjoyed playing with color codes.

jeremyshaw

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2011
Time. Dedicate an hour a day, and set small targets for each day. Don't do anything else during the day, as if the internet didn't exist outside of a few tutorial sites. As if you were in school (and were a good student).

jeremyshaw

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2011
I do most of my updates on my site with notepad. Just quick and easy. I don't think I would build one that way though.
Maybe not overall layout, do that with notepad++ and PHP :p Generation of HTML, either way, still have to learn HTML, then CSS. Maybe jscript.

piatti

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2010
USA
Time. Dedicate an hour a day, and set small targets for each day. Don't do anything else during the day, as if the internet didn't exist outside of a few tutorial sites. As if you were in school (and were a good student).

That's what I was thinking I should do to accomplish my goals including website making. How do I come up with the self-discipline though.

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
Maybe not overall layout, do that with notepad++ and PHP :p Generation of HTML, either way, still have to learn HTML, then CSS. Maybe jscript.

Glad you mentioned js and PHP as well. There are so many different things. I think the best bet would be to find an entire source package for a site he likes somewhere and just play with it on his desktop. Change colors, maybe some spacings and change some CSS code (one thing at a time, and see what it does). Nothing like just digging in and learning.

piatti

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2010
USA
Glad you mentioned js and PHP as well. There are so many different things. I think the best bet would be to find an entire source package for a site he likes somewhere and just play with it on his desktop. Change colors, maybe some spacings and change some CSS code (one thing at a time, and see what it does). Nothing like just digging in and learning.

How do I find the source package?

jeremyshaw

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2011
That's what I was thinking I should do to accomplish my goals including website making. How do I come up with the self-discipline though.
Set a goal? Find some time? Do gaming/news/forums on a different computer/user account? I dunno, really. :( It's true, the hardest part. I was just lucky I loved 3D animation, otherwise, I would of never found the consistant time.

Hmmm... I guess a wierd way to intro him would be Joomla, lol. It does have HTML/CSS templates, and it does seperate it, for the most part, from the PHP coding...

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
How do I find the source package?

I am sure there is stuff out there. I have a couple of sites that aren't anything like the one you listed, I could zip them up and send them to you.

Minus the hundreds of photos of my daughter, if you're interested.

The other site is just a template for future stuff.

piatti

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2010
USA
I am sure there is stuff out there. I have a couple of sites that aren't anything like the one you listed, I could zip them up and send them to you.

Minus the hundreds of photos of my daughter, if you're interested.

The other site is just a template for future stuff.

Please do zip them up and send them to me.

piatti

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2010
USA
Is there a way to edit the existing CSS for Blogger blog so that it has the format of the site in the OP?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.