PDA

View Full Version : A no-brainer . . .

pruppert
Jan 15, 2012, 09:10 PM
Tonight, with $30 of iTunes gift cards (Christmas gift) burning a hole in my digital pocket, I was finally ready to pull the trigger. It was time to buy the iPad app of one to the 2 GTD services I've long been eyeing. The two contenders were Things and Omnifocus.

I'd long ago purchased the iPhone and Mac apps for both services, but the purchase of the iPad app would be a symbolic (and not inexpensive) commitment to one of the two services, completing the trifecta of Mac-iPhone-iPad app ownership.

As I considered the price, Things was the obvious winner. Their $20 iPad app would leave me with $10 of extra iTunes credit to spare. Purchasing the $40 Omnifocus app, however, would put me $10 in the hole.

Then I considered the track record of both services. Things has promised cloud sync for 2 to 3 years but has yet to deliver. Omnifocus has had a functioning cloud sync service in place for going on 2 years now. Things seldom acknowledges their user base or their concerns (and actually deletes their forum posts when they are critical of the company) and issues blog posts on a near biannual frequency. Omnifocus is very responsive to users and posts multiple updates to their blog a month. Things development moves at a snail's pace. Omnifocus is frequently updated to take advantage of the newest technologies (e.g., Siri integration).

So tonight, with my $30 of iTunes credit to burn, the decision was simple. Go with the service that actively develops their product and communicates openly with their user base. Go with Omnifocus. Tonight, it was a no-brainer.