PDA

View Full Version : Does this mean no new powerbooks for the next year?

afields
Jun 7, 2005, 01:44 PM
Are we stuck with 1.67ghz until the intel transition?

DakotaGuy
Jun 7, 2005, 01:48 PM
Are we stuck with 1.67ghz until the intel transition?

I doubt it. I bet you will see 1.8Ghz on the next update and then go to Intel.

SurfAddict
Jun 7, 2005, 01:49 PM
Man I am glad that I got mine (sig) when they came out because if I would have tried to play the waiting game for a second straight generation I would have been waiting an incredibly long time it looks like. I bet they will have some last hurrah for a literal POWERbook though. That would be the longest friggin refresh cycle in modern computer history

wordmunger
Jun 7, 2005, 01:55 PM
Why does everyone think it will be a year? Steve said there will be Intel Macs "in the marketplace" by next year's WWDC. So it will be less than a year before Steve has to impress me enough to stop me from switching to Linux.

bosrs1
Jun 7, 2005, 02:00 PM
Man I am glad that I got mine (sig) when they came out because if I would have tried to play the waiting game for a second straight generation I would have been waiting an incredibly long time it looks like. I bet they will have some last hurrah for a literal POWERbook though. That would be the longest friggin refresh cycle in modern computer history
I'm glad I got my PB when I did (sig). That rev was the longest lived in 5 years and is still superior to the new 1.5 Ghz ones in many ways (mainly the crappy trackpad on the new ones is far inferior and the new ones have the same graphics card)

Applespider
Jun 7, 2005, 02:05 PM
Motorola's statement yesterday said that there were still upgraded chips planned for the coming year... so I'd guess there's another minor bump in the offing.

afields
Jun 7, 2005, 02:07 PM
I doubt it. I bet you will see 1.8Ghz on the next update and then go to Intel.
wow. :rolleyes:

:p

x86isslow
Jun 7, 2005, 02:15 PM
Well, if you watch the keynote, steve does say that there WILL BE more PowerPC-based Mac products. So we'll probably see an update to the Powerbook line before they go with some nice Intel Mobile tech.

wordmunger
Jun 7, 2005, 02:20 PM
Well, if you watch the keynote, steve does say that there WILL BE more PowerPC-based Mac products. So we'll probably see an update to the Powerbook line before they go with some nice Intel Mobile tech.

Did he say there would be more PPC powerbooks? Because he said the notebooks will move to Intel first. I guess time will tell how much work Marklar has done on notebook design.

mac-er
Jun 7, 2005, 07:17 PM
Well, it certainly means no G5 PB. :)

law guy
Jun 7, 2005, 07:41 PM
Why does everyone think it will be a year? Steve said there will be Intel Macs "in the marketplace" by next year's WWDC. So it will be less than a year before Steve has to impress me enough to stop me from switching to Linux.

Agreed, WM. Steve did say shipping by this time next year, not introduced. I like the speculation that the first systems are going to be on-stage at MacWorld SF in January, and shipping soon thereafter. (even sooner for the holiday season would be great, but I suppose Sept. is for the next PPC bump). So that's 6 months (or 7 to actually get it) to your new PB afields!

I'm also hoping that there will an end to the long lead time to ship new products with the switch. Dell, et al. can ship products concurrent with new processor announcements. I have hopes that Apple will be able to do so as well with a steady supply stream.

law guy
Jun 7, 2005, 07:43 PM
Did he say there would be more PPC powerbooks? Because he said the notebooks will move to Intel first. I guess time will tell how much work Marklar has done on notebook design.

I saw a freescale quote talking about a next installment of the G4 mobile chip in yesterday's coverage.

Flying Llama
Jun 7, 2005, 08:17 PM
Well, I guess the Powerbook G5, which we have been waiting for, dreaming and joking about, will never see the light of day. There may very well never, ever exist a G5 Powerbook. I don't see the problem with that, though, as a matter of principle, it does make me a little sad. :(

Apple!Freak
Jun 7, 2005, 08:55 PM
Well, I guess the Powerbook G5, which we have been waiting for, dreaming and joking about, will never see the light of day. There may very well never, ever exist a G5 Powerbook. I don't see the problem with that, though, as a matter of principle, it does make me a little sad. :(

Nope. The G5 Powerbook will come. It will come my friends, it will come. Dare I say it, I'm 99% positive that we will see the G5 Powerbook in less than 12 months from today.

Just not with an IBM processor. Intel is working on something. Trust me. And it's something other than a P4. ;)

Silver Apple
Jun 7, 2005, 09:00 PM
I believe that S.J. will have a "Surprise" for us in the fall of THIS year (2005)
and this suprise could be an early look at the Yonah dual core Powerbook. According to sources close to Intel, Yonah is will come in anywhere with a range of 2.1GHZ to 2.7 GHZ, (2MB L2 cache - 667Mhz Bus!!) and will be reportedly completed by early fall of 2005 ... just in time to slip into the beautiful enclosure of the next generation Powerbook. As a matter of fact, I see no reason for Steve not to showcase an early version of a Dothan Pentium M (Single core) Mac mini as well.

** Battery Life estimate target for a Yonah thin and light (under 5 lbs) notebook will be 6 to 8 hrs of real world performance!!!! Of course this is already possible with the ultra-low voltage Pentiums (up to 1.4 Ghz currently) so Apple is going have options their design team only dreamed of .... for ultra thin, sexy yet powerfull books.

Cheers! :)

themacman
Jun 7, 2005, 09:33 PM
I believe that S.J. will have a "Surprise" for us in the fall of THIS year (2005)
and this suprise could be an early look at the Yonah dual core Powerbook. According to sources close to Intel, Yonah is will come in anywhere with a range of 2.1GHZ to 2.7 GHZ, (2MB L2 cache - 667Mhz Bus!!) and will be reportedly completed by early fall of 2005 ... just in time to slip into the beautiful enclosure of the next generation Powerbook. As a matter of fact, I see no reason for Steve not to showcase an early version of a Dothan Pentium M (Single core) Mac mini as well.

** Battery Life estimate target for a Yonah thin and light (under 5 lbs) notebook will be 6 to 8 hrs of real world performance!!!! Of course this is already possible with the ultra-low voltage Pentiums (up to 1.4 Ghz currently) so Apple is going have options their design team only dreamed of .... for ultra thin, sexy yet powerfull books.

god i hope so thats when im buying my pb

ssh
Jun 7, 2005, 09:44 PM

Now you've done it! You've really done it! I'm salivating here all over my keyboard... Thanks a whole heck of a lot! :p :o

afields
Jun 7, 2005, 09:52 PM
that'd be nice, but I doubt it....not that soon.

afields
Jun 7, 2005, 09:54 PM
I guess I'm just wondering what the roadmap is for the laptop line. It seems even more up in the air than before.

progx
Jun 8, 2005, 02:23 AM
Nope. The G5 Powerbook will come. It will come my friends, it will come. Dare I say it, I'm 99% positive that we will see the G5 Powerbook in less than 12 months from today.

Just not with an IBM processor. Intel is working on something. Trust me. And it's something other than a P4. ;)

with the ending of an awesome era, that intel will never top with there "reserach and development" team, the G series will disappear from the mac name.

welcome the powerbook c4, microsoft and intel wait for you to buy your dell laptops upon arrival.