Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Earlier this month, we reported on Hong Kong company In Icons, which was attempting to release a realistic-looking Steve Jobs figurine. According to reports, Apple was at the time threatening legal action over the posable figurine, and PC World now notes that production on the figurine has been halted.

jobs_figurine_3.jpg

In Icons has posted a statement on its website acknowledging that while it does not feel that it has violated any laws with the figurine but noting that it will cease production out of respect for Jobs and following "immense pressure" from lawyers representing Apple and Jobs' family.
I would like to take this opportunity to reiterate that the original intention for creating the figurine was driven by a fan's admiration of Steve. We respect copyright and trade mark rights and therefore indicated on our site that we were not providing any Mac, iPhone and iPad models with the figurine. Further, we haven't used any Apple related brands. Unfortunately we have received immense pressure from the lawyers of Apple and Steve Jobs family. Regardless of the pressure, I am still Steve's fan, I fully respect Steve, and his family, and it is definitely not my wish or intention that they be upset. Though we still believe that we have not overstepped any legal boundaries, we have decided to completely stop the offer, production and sale of the Steve Jobs figurine out of our heartfelt sensitivity to the feelings of the Jobs family.
The 12-inch figurine had been set to sell for $99.99 plus shipping, and included a number of accessories to help users replicate any number of famous Jobs poses.

Article Link: 'Immense Pressure' Leads to Cancellation of Steve Jobs Figurine

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
This is unfortunate (for those that really wanted one), but not unexpected.

I guess I don't know how I feel about such a thing being created. We can get figurines of various people in U.S. History, however, there aren't many business icons that come to mind.

I am curious as to how the IP on this works, because I have seen, and know people with Ballmer Bobble-heads (with a striking likeness mind you) that somehow came into production.

johns4949

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2011
Whats the big deal

Seems Apple is finally getting around to doing the things Mr. Jobs would not let them do when he was in charge. It's just a doll !!!!!!!!!!

Spectrum Abuser

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2011
A few years from now this story might of been different. However as of right now it's too soon to be making any toy figures of Steve. Wait until at least after the one year anniversary to respect the family and their grief.

Apple Knowledge Navigator

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2010
The 12-inch figurine had been set to sell for $99.99 plus shipping, and included a number of accessories to help users replicate any number of famous jobs poses.

LooooooooooooooL...

Steve Jobs has the 'Hand Job' accessory, as does Ken. They also forgot to mention the string at the back of Steve's back - pull it and you can hear him say "Awesome" over and over.

j-traxx

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2005
California
i am glad that trolls will never get their hands on this and add pain to this man's family by taking pics of the figure in disgraceful situations like trolls do. :apple:

krFALCON

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2011
Rockford, IL
Seems Apple is finally getting around to doing the things Mr. Jobs would not let them do when he was in charge. It's just a doll !!!!!!!!!!

Unless Apple has legal rights to Steve's likeness (which isn't too farfetched), then there isn't any legal basis for them to pursue In Icons. Not that it's stopped them before.

I'm leaning towards this being more in respect to Steve's family and colleagues, which I actually understand.

This may be a personal taste, but I wouldn't want anyone making life-like action figures of my deceased loved ones (famous or otherwise). Especially not this soon. You might think different, but this isn't just about a doll.

nwcs

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
Honestly I never thought it was illegal. Just thought it was tacky. So I'm glad it's halted.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
I felt that the doll was creepy when it was first announced. However, I did not feel Apple owned his likeness, and that legal action was unwarranted.

The most important issue, for me, was the response of the family. If it had been OK with them - so be it. But their displeasure closes the issue for me. I think the company discontinuing the doll was correct, not matter what it's reasons.

For those who say "it's just a doll", I am in general agreement. A bit of a tempest in a teapot. But as I think on it... how would you feel if the likeness of deceased love one was made a plastic doll and sitting on a shelf with Barbie and G.I. Joe.

For me, at least, it would not be a pleasant experience.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
This is a very cut-and-dry case.

Try to make an Elvis figurine, and the Elvis estate will be after you.

Private citizens are protected. Notice how often this all persons fictitious disclaimer is used at the end of movies:

All characters appearing in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

because the law states that for private citizens, which is what Steve Jobs is, you cannot use their likeness unless approval is given from them or their estate.

Public citizens, like the Pope, the President, a mayor of a city CAN be used. (Note that 'Public' does not mean the same thing as 'Popular', as movie stars are 'Popular' but not 'Public')

Unfortunately, the anti-Apple fandroids here don't get the difference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.