Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

majkom

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 3, 2011
Hi, i just visited this site: http://lsh.lshunter.tv/static/popups/7813502355400.html

And lot of adds, popups appeared.. can anyone check whether this site and those that open do contain any malicious software for mac os x?

AND, is there any way how to verify that my mac is malware/virus/trojan free? O mean, i do not want to install any antivirus, i would prefer just string like:
- check activity monitor, downloads folder, apps folder for that and that...

is that possible? thx...

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
And lot of adds, popups appeared.
Install an ad-blocker and change your preference settings to block pop-ups.
is there any way how to verify that my mac is malware/virus/trojan free?
You don't need any 3rd party antivirus app to keep your Mac malware-free. Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released 10 years ago. You cannot infect your Mac simply by visiting a website, unzipping a file, opening an email attachment or joining a network. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which cannot infect your Mac unless you actively install them, and they can be easily avoided with some basic education, common sense and care in what software you install. Also, Mac OS X Snow Leopard and Lion have anti-malware protection built in, further reducing the need for 3rd party antivirus apps.

majkom

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 3, 2011
I have already read that thread you post.. and I know that without actively installing malware there is very small chance to get it.. but, it was so late and I was so tired that I cant remember whether i have entered my admin password or not... anyways, what I am looking for is, how to check/verify that my mac is virus/trojan/malware free - without antivirus sw (reason: i dont want that piece of .... in my mac) - i mean, should I check processes running after start up? should I check some chosen folders for suspicious files? any tips?

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
I have already read that thread you post.. and I know that without actively installing malware there is very small chance to get it.. but, it was so late and I was so tired that I cant remember whether i have entered my admin password or not... anyways, what I am looking for is, how to check/verify that my mac is virus/trojan/malware free - without antivirus sw (reason: i dont want that piece of .... in my mac) - i mean, should I check processes running after start up? should I check some chosen folders for suspicious files? any tips?

If you can't remember entering you're Admin password maybe you should stick some AV on.

The whole point of not having AV on a Mac is down to smart computing and if you're unsure of when you've typed your admin password then.....well........ *awkward silence*

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
......should I check processes running after start up? should I check some chosen folders for suspicious files? any tips?

Just read the link again, stop being unnecessarily paranoid and then get on and enjoy your Mac!

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I have already read that thread you post.. and I know that without actively installing malware there is very small chance to get it..
Correction..... zero chance, given today's malware environment.
it was so late and I was so tired that I cant remember whether i have entered my admin password or not...
First, even if you were tired, you would remember if you installed something. You would have had to download a file and go through some installation process. It's not something that happens "accidentally" with a single mouse click. It's rather rare for an average Mac user to even encounter malware, much less have their Mac infected by it.
how to check/verify that my mac is virus/trojan/malware free - without antivirus
There is no way to manually sweep your system for malware. If you're so paranoid you can't believe the facts that have been presented, install ClamXav to scan your system, then uninstall it after the scan is complete. It's absolutely not necessary, but if it gives you a warm fuzzy feeling....

I highly recommend you re-read the FAQ I posted, and relax.

majkom

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 3, 2011
Correction..... zero chance, given today's malware environment.

First, even if you were tired, you would remember if you installed something. You would have had to download a file and go through some installation process. It's not something that happens "accidentally" with a single mouse click. It's rather rare for an average Mac user to even encounter malware, much less have their Mac infected by it.

Well if this is true, i would find installer in my downloads folder, am i right? But, truly, i dont remember I went through any install process:)

Just thought that there maybe any malware that instals via safari without whole install proces (tries to get to system without downloading and starting install - and asks for admin password)

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Just thought that there maybe any malware that instals via safari without whole install proces (tries to get to system without downloading and starting install - and asks for admin password)
No, there is no such malware in the wild. Also, if you are running Snow Leopard or Lion, even if you had attempted to download or install one of the known trojans, Mac OS X would have caught it.

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
If you indeed enjoy this kind of drama, go back to Windows. At least users will listen. Although it's been years since I got anything fun:(

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
If you indeed enjoy this kind of drama, go back to Windows. At least users will listen. Although it's been years since I got anything fun:(

You should come to my workplace if you want that kind of "fun" :p People are always getting infected and wasting the IT departments time.

Then again the big wigs make us use Symantec, hence why machines get infected all the time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.