Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pepsicles

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2011
North Wales, UK
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Hi. I am trying to install a Netgear N300 wireless modem router. Will use for Internet on iMac, iPhone & iPad. I can't get it to work though. It has to be set up manually on a mac, not using the wizard, but just won't work! Spent an hour on phone to Netgear support, but not much help! I think I have all settings correct, but just won't get IP address etc. I'm lost! Anyone know what the settings should all be? Thanks in advance!

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Hi. I am trying to install a Netgear N300 wireless modem router. Will use for Internet on iMac, iPhone & iPad. I can't get it to work though. It has to be set up manually on a mac, not using the wizard, but just won't work! Spent an hour on phone to Netgear support, but not much help! I think I have all settings correct, but just won't get IP address etc. I'm lost! Anyone know what the settings should all be? Thanks in advance!

People will need more information if they are going to help. They need to understand the level of skills you have. How did you perform the manual setup? Did you manually set the ip address on your mac to the same address range as that on the router? Once in did you enable dhcp? If so, is it the mac that fails to get an ip address from the router or does your router fail to get a valid ip address from the isp?

More info the better. Screen shots if possible.

Cheers,

Pepsicles

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2011
North Wales, UK
Netgear router issue

Hi, thanks for the reply, sorry for the lack of info on my original post!
My knowledge is pretty limited, but I thought sufficient enough to set up a router, but when it comes to manually configuring settings, it's a bit beyond me!
The info I have is as follows -
I know my user name & password for my ISP are correct, as I have checked these with them.
I have got it set as PPPoA
Encapsulation: VCBased, VPI 0, VCI 38
It is also set to dynamically retrieve IP address from ISP.
When I click on test, it comes up with a window that says connection time (0:00) along with some other stuff such as server, which says 'off' and this doesn't change at all and it's like it's not trying to contact my ISP.
When I click on router settings, it says it's connected.
All the other details such as IP address are just zeros.

Hope this is of help to someone to be able to advise me as I'm at a complete loss and Netgear don't seem to be able to help, neither do my ISP (utility warehouse)

Thanks!

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
Hi, thanks for the reply, sorry for the lack of info on my original post!
My knowledge is pretty limited, but I thought sufficient enough to set up a router, but when it comes to manually configuring settings, it's a bit beyond me!
The info I have is as follows -
I know my user name & password for my ISP are correct, as I have checked these with them.
I have got it set as PPPoA
Encapsulation: VCBased, VPI 0, VCI 38
It is also set to dynamically retrieve IP address from ISP.
When I click on test, it comes up with a window that says connection time (0:00) along with some other stuff such as server, which says 'off' and this doesn't change at all and it's like it's not trying to contact my ISP.
When I click on router settings, it says it's connected.
All the other details such as IP address are just zeros.

Hope this is of help to someone to be able to advise me as I'm at a complete loss and Netgear don't seem to be able to help, neither do my ISP (utility warehouse)

Thanks!

I hope you were able to sort it by now. If not, are you certain your isp requires PPP (username and password), many no longer do in which case you would need to set it to Auto. Also, if your Mac is working directly connected to cable or dsl modem (which is it) and now you what to connect a router some ISPs require you to clone the Mac address of your computer to the external facing WAN port on the router so the ISP thinks it's still just your computer connected.

There are so many variables that you almost need to be on the phone with a knowledgable person to resolve it.

Again, I hope this is already resolved but if it's not please provide details on your ISP, (Cable, DSL, Login required or no, name of ISP, City, etc.). That way someone near you may jump in and help you.

Cheers,

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Just wondering, are you trying to set it up "over the air", or, are you connected via an Ethernet cable?

If you are trying to do setup wirelessly, I'd recommend that you connect "with a wire" instead, and see if that makes things easier.

Get the network issues resolved first, and only then fool with the wireless features....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.