Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

martychang

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 3, 2007
Me and a friend are learning to program together, making rudimentary apps for Android and hopefully iPhone. I am looking at a new phone soon but I'm more dissatisifed with my current phone than Android as a whole. Thus I was wondering how difficult it is to develop for iPhone without a physical device for testing.

I know we get the iPhone emulator for free in the SDK, but we have already discovered several bugs in our Android apps which only became apparent after loading them onto our devices. Anyone here not actually have an iDevice but develop anyway?

nickculbertson

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2010
Nashville, TN
Get an iPod touch. Most apps don't run the same in the emulator and you don't get a real grasp of the size of the app on the device from the emulator. You can't test on an iDevice until you pay the $99 development fee so the emulator is a good place to start when you are first learning to code in Objective-C.
Nick

jonnymo5

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2008
Texas
Developing for it is not a problem. Just make sure you test on a real device before releasing it to the unsuspecting public. It is the same deal as Android, emulator != device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.