Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

applerocks

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 7, 2005
Now that apple will be switching to intel, it seems it would be better to wait for an iBook. However, I will be needing one within a few months. It would be better to have one sooner than later.

I know there are a few threads on this :) , but how long should I wait for them to be updated. I have read that without the updated Graphic Card, I won't have the ripple effect :( but also that it will become obsolete faster-could you go into more detail about that? This, combined with the fact that apple switched to intel seems like if I bought an iBook before they're updated, a lot of newer software won't work as well. $1000 is still a lot of money, and I don't want that to go to waste.

Any suggestions??

Also, what event were the 4G iPods released at last year in July? Could this be a release date for the iBooks this year?

Thanks! :D

Toeside

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2005
St. Louis, MO
applerocks said:
Now that apple will be switching to intel, it seems it would be better to wait for an iBook. However, I will be needing one within a few months. It would be better to have one sooner than later.

I know there are a few threads on this :) , but how long should I wait for them to be updated. I have read that without the updated Graphic Card, I won't have the ripple effect :( but also that it will become obsolete faster-could you go into more detail about that? This, combined with the fact that apple switched to intel seems like if I bought an iBook before they're updated, a lot of newer software won't work as well. $1000 is still a lot of money, and I don't want that to go to waste.

Any suggestions??

Also, what event were the 4G iPods released at last year in July? Could this be a release date for the iBooks this year?

Thanks! :D

Why did this need a new thread?

applerocks

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 7, 2005
Toeside said:
Why did this need a new thread?

Toeside,

my main question was about the graphic card and the "Core Image Graphics??"

I want to find more about it. The other stuff is just questions I have, that have gotten different answers. Mainly though, the graphic card, and if I wind up needing to buy a current iBook, will that hurt me in the long run. (sort of sum up different scattered threads)

joshysquashy

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2005
UK
if you need one within a few months, buy it in a few months. apple ibooks look set to be the next hardware update, most likely before september.

newer hardware is always better in the long run. you are right there is not enough vram at the moment for the ripple effect and also the ram is lacking for tiger (you will need to add ram for it to function well).

if you look in other threads you will find that ibooks will either be released

• at the apple edu event on the 28th of june
  • at the macworld expo 11th to 15th july
  • any other time - probably a tuesday by 9am in america

rinseout

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2004
1. there is no guarantee that an updated iBook will have a Core Image compatible video card.

2. a maxed out 12" iBook G4 is a pretty sweet machine. i own one and do serious work on it (really). i also have lots of fun with it. i'm not that arsed about ripple effects or what have you... ymmv.

3. you'll be thinking about replacing any computer you buy today by the time that the intel switch is starting to seriously affect mac users (unsupported hardware, etc.).

finally, the thing with "should i buy now?" threads is that nobody really cares. nobody knows your needs better than you, and usually there's very little information on what's coming out next. all people can tell you is what's in the buyer's guide. it's your money; if you want to buy a computer, go and buy a computer. hopefully, the last thing on your mind after buying a computer will be all of the little calculations about whether or not you have the ripple effect...instead, you'll be satisfied with your purchase and setting about doing whatever it is you wanted a computer for (whether that's being some kind of coffee shop hipster, doing serious work, or maybe both). seriously. this iBook is probably the one major purchase i've made in my life that hasn't resulted in buyer's remorse. well, the iBook and a few good suits.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.