PDA

View Full Version : SGP Screen Protector + Smart Cover = Fail

Hammie
Jan 17, 2012, 07:39 AM
Has anyone else experienced the Smart cover functionality failing when you have a screen protector on?

I put the SGP Crystal Clear screen protector on my son's iPad 2 last night and now the Smart Cover will not auto wake and auto sleep. It seems that the magnets are not strong enough to make the appropriate contact to activate the function.

I searched but I did not find any discussions on this specific topic. Am I really in the minority here?

Menel
Jan 17, 2012, 09:40 AM
I would be shocked that such a thin film blocks the magnetic fields.

PowerSupport Anti-Glare film here does not effect smart cover magnetic switch.

jekyl
Jan 17, 2012, 09:42 AM
Has anyone else experienced the Smart cover functionality failing when you have a screen protector on?

I put the SGP Crystal Clear screen protector on my son's iPad 2 last night and now the Smart Cover will not auto wake and auto sleep. It seems that the magnets are not strong enough to make the appropriate contact to activate the function.

I searched but I did not find any discussions on this specific topic. Am I really in the minority here?

No, I have a protector on mine and it still sleeps and wakes just fine with the cover. I'm using a full body Skinomi on mine if it means anything.

Hammie
Jan 17, 2012, 09:56 AM
Thanks for the replies!

I did not think it would affect the functionality, but it seems to be. I have opened up a support request with SGP and we will see what they say.

MacRumorUser
Jan 17, 2012, 10:00 AM
SGP make a variety of screen protectors. Was it the thicker one by chance, it's easier to apply to the device, reduce air bubbles, offers better scratch protection, but due to the extra thickness some 2x-3x thicker than most screen protectors) it can effect the magnets strength.

SGP Steinheil Ultra Crystal Clear I believe is the thicker one.

Hammie
Jan 17, 2012, 10:54 AM
SGP make a variety of screen protectors. Was it the thicker one by chance, it's easier to apply to the device, reduce air bubbles, offers better scratch protection, but due to the extra thickness some 2x-3x thicker than most screen protectors) it can effect the magnets strength.

SGP Steinheil Ultra Crystal Clear I believe is the thicker one.

It was the UCC version. My son wanted to maintain the gloss look on his iPad 2 since he hates the matte finish on my iPad 1.

Maybe I can get a refund and look at another manufacturer.