Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

farin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2005
Ok, So I've seen other threads about this, but not the OS Specifically, so hang with me...
If I buy a Powerbook now, when the new Intel PBs come out, and OS X 10.5 (Leopard), will Apple only release OS X for the Intel Mac, or would they release 10.5 in both PPC, and Intel chipsets?
That being said, would it be worth it to sink $2,300 into a new '15 PB right now? I'd like a computer for college this summer, but I don't have that type of money to spend, let alone throw away.
Dammit Apple, just when things were looking clear and simple for me... Uhg.
Thanks.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
I sure hope they will support at least G4 and G5 processors with 10.5 and even 10.6. I guess we will have to wait and see, but if Apple knows what is good for them, they are not going to let an established base of millions of users be left out in the cold. Last I checked Apple makes profit shipping a new version of OSX and without PPC people, there would not be too many copies to ship.

mcmav37

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2004
Ann Arbor, MI
They've been compiling OS X in both PPC and Intel version for the past 5 years and there weren't even any available Macs using Intel, so it just stands to reason that they will continue to compile PPC versions of OS X while there still remains a large percentage of Macs running PPC. It would be very hypocritical for them to speak so highly of the ease of creating universal binaries for the developers apps and then not do the same themselves. So, if you need a computer now, then get it now. Yeah, it stinks to have faster or better stuff come out, but that is always going to happen... and if that isn't happening, then the technology is stagnant and others would be upset about that. Go for it.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
You know what I think would be great PR for Apple right now? To offer a free DVD at all their stores, dealers, and on-line to order (and post a quicktime movie) of the same thing answering a lot of these questions. Really let the customer know where this is all going and what they can expect. If they could take questions from people for a couple of months and then release this, it would help a lot and would probably keep PPC products selling. All they have to do is lay down their plan so people know what they are buying today will be just as good as if it did have an Intel processor.

Apple has created a mess with a lot of people that don't understand the inside and out of a computer and they need to what they can to fix that soon to ease their consumers and the people that would like to go out and buy a Mac today, but are pretty leery.

superfunkomatic

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2003
calgary, ab canada
i'm not sure what everyone is getting panicstricken about. if you need a computer now and the current hardware and OS will work, then you're all set.

if you are new to macs. not to worry. these transitions take time.

years ago was the big transition to powerpc chips, everything worked on both for a few years then gradually software developers had powerpc only versions of the software - this was during the system 7 days.

i'm sure apple has figured this all out. plus they are great at generating marketing buzz without spending a lot of money. this gets people talking about apple products and creates interest.

they've always put out first rate products, and i'm sure they'll continue to support new ones.

barneygumble

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2005
In the keynote he expects 50% of people to still be using ppc in 2009 expect support long after that!! :D

endoscient

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2005
considering how they will still be selling PowerPC macs when Leopard comes out, it is gonna come out for PowerPC (listen to Jobs keynote, transition should be mostly done by WWDC 2007). I am willing to bet a lot of money that 10.6 will also be one PowerPc. By that point will probably be like 1-1.5 years since they stopped selling PowerPC and they will be alienating a lot of potenital buyers. 10.7 I will say most likely will also be out on PowerPC, but depends how fast people switch, and still have 2-4 year old PowerPCs, but I would venture a yes also. Apple isn't gonna leave you in dust. Mainly because it is a large user base they can sell to and keep loyal once they upgrade.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.